Irish-Speak for a thing, as in "Where did you put that yoke?" or "That's a funny lookin yoke"

Also an Irish-speak street slang word for an ecstacy tablet.

A yoke was a piece of wood used to "yoke" two oxen together so that they would walk in step with each other. In Biblical terms being yoked with Christ means to be in perfect step with Him.

Other versions of the Irish euphemism, yoke, for the word thing (or their variants) are phrases - all made up on the spot, generally when the speaker is frustrated, frantic, annoyed, and basically incapable of thinking straight so cannot form a complete and coherent sentence - such as:

yokeymajig
thingymayokey
thingamajig
thingymayokeymajig
feckinyokey etc..

There exist of course other variants we Irish tend to make up on the spot, but I can't think of any other at the moment. Feel free to add to this, or /msg me to do so :)

Yoke (?), n. [OE. yok, oc, AS. geoc; akin to D. juk, OHG. joh, G. joch, Icel. & Sw. ok, Dan. aag, Goth. juk, Lith. jungas, Russ. igo, L. jugum, Gr. , Skr. yuga, and to L. jungere to join, Gr. , Skr. yui. , . Cf. Join, Jougs, Joust, Jugular, Subjugate, Syzycy, Yuga, Zeugma.]

1.

A bar or frame of wood by which two oxen are joined at the heads or necks for working together.

A yearling bullock to thy name shall smoke, Untamed, unconscious of the galling yoke. Pope.

⇒ The modern yoke for oxen is usually a piece of timber hollowed, or made curving, near each end, and laid on the necks of the oxen, being secured in place by two bows, one inclosing each neck, and fastened through the timber. In some countries the yoke consists of a flat piece of wood fastened to the foreheads of the oxen by thongs about the horns.

2.

A frame or piece resembling a yoke, as in use or shape.

Specifically: (a)

A frame of wood fitted to a person's shoulders for carrying pails, etc., suspended on each side; as, a milkmaid's yoke.

(b)

A frame worn on the neck of an animal, as a cow, a pig, a goose, to prevent passage through a fence.

(c)

A frame or convex piece by which a bell is hung for ringing it. See Illust. of Bell.

(d)

A crosspiece upon the head of a boat's rudder. To its ends lines are attached which lead forward so that the boat can be steered from amidships.

(e) Mach.

A bent crosspiece connecting two other parts.

(f) Arch.

A tie securing two timbers together, not used for part of a regular truss, but serving a temporary purpose, as to provide against unusual strain.

(g) Dressmaking

A band shaped to fit the shoulders or the hips, and joined to the upper full edge of the waist or the skirt.

3.

Fig.: That which connects or binds; a chain; a link; a bond connection.

Boweth your neck under that blissful yoke . . . Which that men clepeth spousal or wedlock. Chaucer.

This yoke of marriage from us both remove. Dryden.

4.

A mark of servitude; hence, servitude; slavery; bondage; service.

Our country sinks beneath the yoke. Shak.

My yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matt. xi. 30.

5.

Two animals yoked together; a couple; a pair that work together.

I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them. Luke xiv. 19.

6.

The quantity of land plowed in a day by a yoke of oxen.

[Obs.]

Gardner.

7.

A portion of the working day; as, to work two yokes, that is, to work both portions of the day, or morning and afternoon.

[Prov. Eng.]

Halliwell.

Neck yoke, Pig yoke. See under Neck, and Pig. -- Yoke elm Bot., the European hornbeam (Carpinus Betulus), a small tree with tough white wood, often used for making yokes for cattle.

 

© Webster 1913.


Yoke (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Yoked (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Yoking.]

1.

To put a yoke on; to join in or with a yoke; as, to yoke oxen, or pair of oxen.

2.

To couple; to join with another.

"Be ye not unequally yoked with unbelievers."

2 Cor. vi. 14.

Cassius, you are yoked with a lamb. Shak.

3.

To enslave; to bring into bondage; to restrain; to confine.

Then were they yoked with garrisons. Milton.

The words and promises that yoke The conqueror are quickly broke. Hudibras.

 

© Webster 1913.


Yoke, v. i.

To be joined or associated; to be intimately connected; to consort closely; to mate.

We 'll yoke together, like a double shadow. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Yoke (?), n. (Chiefly Mach.)

A clamp or similar piece that embraces two other parts to hold or unite them in their respective or relative positions, as a strap connecting a slide valve to the valve stem, or the soft iron block or bar permanently connecting the pole pieces of an electromagnet, as in a dynamo.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.