Yamato is a Japanese word meaning "big unity." It is also a term used to describe things from the Yamato Empire in Japan. It currently is used to describe things that are purely Japanese, and not "loaned" from other cultures. For instance Yamato Kotoba means Japanese words which are not Chinese, pseudo-Chinese, or other loan words.

Yamato is the name of the battleship in Starblazers. In Japan it goes by the name "Uchuu Senkan Yamato", (Space Crusier Yamato) but in America is called the Argo. Built from the wreckage of the Japanese WWII battleship Yamato in the year 2202, it was the first Earth ship to surpass the speed of light. It is the main battleship of the Earth Defense Fleet. The captain of the Yamato is Captain Avatar in Quest for Iscandar. After Avatar's death, Derek Wildstar takes over the post. The crew of the Yamato is called the Star Force, and their courage and bravery impresses everyone they encounter.

The Yamato sports a wide variety of weapons. The two main are its shock cannons and the wave motion gun. It is also equipped with anti-aircraft laser pulse guns, bow and stern torpedo ports, anti-missle screen gun, a asteroid polarity shield, and a reflective force field. It also has a barrage of laser guns along the top bow and stern of the ship. The wave motion gun is powered by the wave motion engine, and leaves the ship defenseless for about a minute before and after it fires.

The Yamato seems to have an ability to take heavy damage but still keep on fighting. In the Japanese version, the fighting spirit of the old Yamato is what keeps the new Yamato running. The spirit of the crew is also vital to the ship.

Specifications:
Length = 265.8 m
Width = 34.6 m
Height= 77 m
Missles = Countermeasure missles, side assault missles,stack missles.
Airpower = Black Tiger space fighter squadron
The name of the largest battleship ever built.

Commissioned in December, 1941, just days after the start of the Pacific War the Yamato was a 65,000 ton behemoth that sported nine 18.1-inch guns as her main armament. As the flagship of the Japanese Pacific Fleet throughout World War II, the Yamato served as a mobile command center, and did not see significant action until the battle of Leyte Gulf in 1944, when she suffered light damage. The Yamato met her inglorious end in 1945 when she was ordered to take part in a kamikaze mission to defend Okinawa. This bizarre plan called for the ship to beach herself to serve as a stationary gun platform against the impending American attack. Yamato was still 200 miles north of Okinawa when she was discovered by the Americans and sunk by an overwhelming force of carrier-based aircraft on April 7, 1945.

大和


Yamato is a plain in central Japan, around the ancient city of Nara: while most of Yamato is in Nara Prefecture, parts of it spill over into Kyoto Prefecture. The Yamato Plain is where modern Japanese civilization began in the first few centuries CE, and was the sociopolitical hub of the country until Heiankyo (Kyoto) was chosen as the Emperor's seat in 794. The Nara Period, centered around Yamato, was one of Japan's golden ages: the Kojiki and Manyoshu, Japan's earliest literary works, were written at this time, and that is how Yamato came to refer to Japan.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.