Italian movement originally formed in 1996 by leftist militant radicals to support the South American Zapatistas and spread the ideals of their struggle in Europe. Joined with the Tute Bianche in 1998 and adopted their tactic of using white overalls with heavy padding and shielding in demonstrations. The White Overall Movement has later spread throughout Europe and the US, both as Ya Basta itself or as separate organizations as The Wombles

Ya Basta often use methods of civil disobedience, most notably by trying to break through police barricades during protests using their polstered bodies as shields. This was first seen in a large scale in the World Bank/IMF protest in Prague 2000, later during the EU summit in Nice the same year.

The movement is somewhat controversial both in public consciousness and within the left itself. Confronting the police directly has the potential of starting riots and heightening the level of violence seen at the large protests after The Battle of Seattle. Neither have Ya Basta claimed any loyalty to any ideological direction on the left.

"Ya Basta!" is italian for "It's enough!".

Ya Basta! has been a most welcome addition to the protest actions friends of mine and I have attended.

Prior to demos, Ya Basta! often holds workshops at which one can learn how to build effective shields and body armor out of readily available materials. They can also teach you the best ways to fall, and how to avoid being injured (as much) when the police are beating you while you're on the ground. An experienced Ya Basta! member can tell you all sorts of useful things about how to deal with tear gas and pepper spray.

During an action, Ya Basta! often performs the vital role of protecting other demonstrators. They are willing and well prepared enough to stand between the police and vulnerable protesters, absorbing the truncheon blows and chemical attacks so others can fight the good fight.

As police violence at protests increases, the presence of Ya Basta! and other like-minded people will undoubtedly become more and more crucial.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.