Can we call it the "X Dome"? In Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (SMAC), the X Dome is a Secret Project. It may be built at a cost of 270 minerals, on discovery of Centauri Meditation (E5). It halves the time Former units take for the Remove Fungus (and Plant Fungus) operations, and gives +1 lifecycle to native units subsequently produced at any of your bases. It also reduces move point cost for land units in xenofungus to 1/3 move (same as the Roads terrain improvement), or 1 move point in sea fungus.

How useful is this? The X Dome is a must-have if you're pursuing a Psi-oriented military, and the move bonus helps a lot with exploration and territorial expansion. Its value is at least comparable to a hypothetical "Biology Lab (or perhaps Centauri Preserve) facility in each of your bases" sort of Project. Biology Labs cost 54 minerals, so the X Dome is a bargain at the price of only 5 Biology Labs.

Secret Project animation narrative:
"I believe Planet will talk to us if we are willing to listen. These fungal stalks behave as multistate relays: taken together, the neural net connectivity must be staggering. Can a planet be said to have achieved sentience?"
   -- Lady Deirdre Skye,
   Arguments in Council

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.