An independent brewer of real ales founded in 1983 in Oxfordshire, England.

Wychwood produce a variety of hand-brewed ales, from dark, rich ales such as their most well-known product Hobgoblin, to light, highly refreshing ales like Fiddler's Elbow.

A Wychwood ale, whether seen bottled on a supermarket shelf, or on tap in a pub, is instantly recognisable by its striking labelling, which depicts some sort of magical or mystical scene, whether it be a hobgoblin or even a dancing scarecrow. This labelling theme is due to local myths of the Wychwood Forest, which the brewery took its name from and is located very near to.

When consumed, all Wychwood ales have a strong and crisp character and leave a pleasant aftertaste (which many might say makes a change for English beer). Whilst most likely not the kind of beers one would drink as part of a heavy drinking session such as a pub crawl or a party, Wychwood ales are most deffinitely a joy to drink for their taste, and they won't break the bank as most other fine alcoholic drinks have a tendency to.

website: http://www.wychwood.co.uk/

Hobgoblin

A strong ale produced by the Wychwood Brewery company and sold throughout the UK in bottles, although it does make the occasional appearance on tap in some pubs, usually as a guest drink.

This ale is particularly notable for its rich taste with just a slight hint of fruitiness and its elaborately labelled bottle.

An excellent drink to go with one's Sunday lunch and at 5.0% abv it is just as strong for its alcohol content (for a real ale) as it is for its colour and flavour.


Circle Master

Another ale made by the Wychwood Brewery. Golden in colour, the real selling point of this beer is that it is made from organic ingredients. The combination of the organic composition and hand-brewing give this drink a kind of old-world feel that is sadly lacking from most beers these days.

Being a paler ale, there is a certain amount of fizziness to it, and this is evident from the outset with a strong fragrance coming from the bottle as soon as it is opened. This can be off-putting to those new to real ale but I find it to be the sign of a good brew. The real pleasure however is in the drinking and to say that this ale is refreshing is an understatement, with a slightly bitter taste to get the tastebuds going as it goes down.

At 4.7% this is certainly a reasonably strong beer. However this is of little importance in my opinion, as this is a drink to be savoured for its taste and body.

Definitely a beer to enjoy chilled on a warm summer's evening, or at a barbecue perhaps.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.