Prunella vulgaris

Also known as all-heal, blue curls, brownwort, carpenter's weed, Hercules woundwort, hock-heal, self heal and sicklewort. This is a perennial herb found very commonly in open woods, fields and wastelands of Europe, Asia and the U.S. It has creeping roots from which grow square, grooved stems 1 to 3 feet tall. The leaves are sometimes lightly toothed, and the flowers are purple in colour. These tiny flowers appear during May to October.

Woundwort has antispasmodic, astringent, bitter tonic, diuretic, styptic, vermifuge and vulnerary properties. The tea is used for internal wounds, while the wash is used for external wounds. As per it's name, the herb is believed to be beneficial for just about any injury. Additionally, it can be used as a gargle for throat irritations, including pharyngitis and for stomatitis and thrush. It's astringent properties are used against hemorrhage and diarrhea, and will also work on fits and convulsions.

Wound"wort` (?), n. Bot.

Any one of certain plants whose soft, downy leaves have been used for dressing wounds, as the kidney vetch, and several species of the labiate genus Stachys.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.