Texel is the largest of the islands to the north of the Netherlands. It is a pretty small and relatively unimportant place, and experienced little or no trouble during most of World War II. Even so, Texel was the last battlefield of Europe (or so it is claimed).

In the night of 5 April 1945 an uprising against the Germans was organised by a battalion of Georgian soldiers. They had been captured on the Eastern frontier and offered the choice: to go to a prisoners' camp and probably die, or to enlist in the German army. They had chosen the last and had been stationed on Texel. They weren't feeling exactly grateful towards the Germans however.

During the uprising, they killed circa 400 German soldiers. They were hoping to liberate Texel, and for help from the Allied Forces. Instead, the Germans sent reinforcements. In the battle that followed (the 'Russian war' it is called on Texel, as the local people weren't too clear on the difference between Russians and Georgians), 800 Germans, 500 Georgians en 120 Texelaars were killed. The civilians that were killed were mostly shot for helping either the Georgians or the local resistance. Many farms went up in flames. Only on 20 May the Canadians ended the 'last battlefield of Europe', more than three weeks after the rest of the Netherlands had been liberated.

On Texel, you can still visit the Georgian cemetery. There is also a permanent exhibition on this part of Texel history in the Luchtvaartmuseum.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.