An annual competition held near Lewes, DE the first weekend after Halloween. The event started in 1986, when Bill Thompson and Trey Melson challenged John Ellsworth to a dual to see who could design a machine that would throw a pumpkin the farthest. Today, competitors using high powered machinery such as air cannons, slingshots, catapults, trebuchets, and centrifugal devices, draw crowds of over 30,000 spectators.

There are certain rules to Punkin Chunkin: Pumpkins must weigh 8 to 10 pounds; they must leave the machine intact; and no explosives are permitted. The world record was set in 2000 by Joe "Wolfman" Thomas, who shot a pumpkin 4,085 feet with his air cannon, Old Glory. The previous record was held by Matt Parker and his team, in 1998, with the Aludium Q36 Punkin Modulator (4,026 feet).

A few years ago, one of the catapults appeared on Late Show with David Letterman and launched pumpkins in the streets of New York City.

If you want to go see this lunacy for yourself, directions may be obtained from the official website at www.punkinchunkin.com

Warning:
The Surgeon General has determined
using catapults as transportation
may be hazardous to your health.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.