The 1882 charter
states that the Woman's Industrial Exchange
, MD endeavors “by sympathy and practical aid to encourage and help needy women to help themselves by procuring for them and establishing a sales room for the sale of Women's Work”. It has been in continual operation ever since. It is a combination consignment store
featuring fine needle work, crafts and baked goods and a breakfast / lunch room. It was originally founded to provide a place for Civil War widow
s to make some money by selling their goods in a “proper” setting.