Main character from Terry Pratchett's 25th Discworld novel: "The Truth". Usually, Pratchett returns to his old, seasoned characters, but from time to time, there is a new main charakter to drive the book.

William de Worde makes a living as a professional scribe, writing letters home for those who can't write a word. For example, a letter might look like this:

Dear mume & Dad,
Well, I arrivede here all ryte and I am staying at
(109 Cockbill Street The Shades) Ankh-morpork.
Everytnyg is fine. I have got a goode job working for Mr
(C.M.O.T. Dibbler, Merchant Venturer) and will be making lots of monie really soone now. I am rememberinge alle your gode advyce and am notte drinkynge in bars or mixsing with Trolls. Well that's about itte muft goe now, loking forwade to seeing you and (Emelia) agane, your loving son,
Tomas Brokenbrow

Other than that, he earns a little extra by writing short monthly letters about noteworthy events in Ankh-Morpork. He gets these printed by having them manually engraved and then delivered to several interested and wealthy, parties. He describes his job as "writing things down". Until he is run over by a runaway dwarvish printing press.

At that point, the Ankh-Morpork has it's own newspaper, with William as reporter, publisher and generally the person in charge. And when Lord Vetinari is framed for murder, William set's out to find "The Truth" by pursuing some true investigative reporting.

He originally comes from a very rich familiy, who are also counted amongst the political elite of the city. Offspring are usually expected to join the military, and be a hero (Dying counts!), but being the youngest son, he enjoyed more freedom to choose a profession than his brothers, which changed as soon as they became heros. He was expected to take their roles, refused, and fell out with his father.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.