Quite frankly, I don't think the Bible sucks. Certainly it does not suck any more than Homer's Iliad, or Shakespeare's Hamlet, or any other story.

Some of the stories in the Bible are quite interesting and fascinating. Some books included therein are outright boring (e.g., the Book of Numbers).

If there is anything that "sucks", it's not the Bible, it's the silly belief that it was written by God, or that it is infallible, or that it is literal truth.

But of the many writers and editors who contributed their talents to it not a single one claimed to be writing infallible teachings put into his head by God Almighty.

Indeed, if the authors had not turned into dust centuries ago, they'd probably be turning in their graves, ripping their hair, and screaming outloud: "No, that's not what I meant!!!"

One of the amazing things about the Bible is the degree to which the reader can find just about anything he or she is looking for within its pages.

Someone hostile toward Judaism and/or Christianity and who expects to find nastiness, genocide, oppression, racism, sexism, homophobia and so on, will find it aplenty...and not much else.

Someone looking for messages of hope, courage, love, peace, goodwill, and freedom will find those as well.

Ideally, you should be able to look squarely and unflinchingly at both aspects and deal with them. After all, the Bible is by and about human beings, and human beings tend to alternately suck and rock.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.