Seriously.

I'm sitting here at my computer with a bowl of cereal and a knife. Opera is taking too much memory, and the broken VM of Linux 2.4 isn't helping. My bank account is missing $150, and I have no idea where it went---I certainly didn't spend it. The university is charging me $50 more than they said they would for tuition. There is a very good chance that, thanks to that $200, my rent check (which I mailed out well over a week ago) will bounce.

If none of my pending checks go through until after I deposit my paycheck tomorrow, I'm still about $50 short. So I called home to ask for money.

Why am I talking about money? It's not about that. If school, the apartment, everything fell apart, I could go back to the hills, live with my mother and stepfather, get a menial job that pays more than my current one does, and have more books than I could ever hope to read. It's not that.

I hoped to be independent. I went for a few years without much monetary support from my family. Then I get an apartment. I have no scholarship next semester, and the government decided to stop giving me a Pell grant because my mother makes too much money now (that's news to me, not to mention her). Then I got an apartment. All my furniture, most of the first month's utilities---really just about everything except the rent---was paid for by my family. I feel like a worm. A leechy worm.

Why am I talking about independence? It's not about that. It's not about anything. The world is bright and happy out there, and I'm sitting in my dark room in front of my darkly glowing monitor whining. It all seems so unreal.

But the knife is real. I don't want to die, don't want to rip open veins (down, not across), don't want Michael to come home and find my carcass slumped in a swivel chair. It's not about death, it's about rest. I am tired, eternally bored and tired. Baudelaire was right in positing ennui, the Spleen, as the fundamental destructive force of the universe.

Baudelaire went mad before he died. So did Nietzsche. Flaubert succumbed to epilepsy. Michel Foucault's immune system gave up. My grandfather was crushed by a falling tree. If I were to kill myself, I don't think I, or my ghost, could ever look anyone in the face again. Foot before foot, eyes cast down. Just like now.

The knife is real. I can feel it. It is not an instrument of destruction, but rather one of rebirth. Just a tiny incision, less than a millimetre deep, and I feel it all flooding back. I can breathe. I'm going to start sounding kind of Lacanian here, but the knife (or razor blade, or broken glass, or whatever your favourite toy is) is like an inverse mirror. The mirror stage establishes a definite boundary between the I and the Other. By seeing myself in a mirror, I distinguish myself from Mommy, from Mommy's womb, from Mommy's breast, from the rushing throng, from the nodegel. The mirror gives me identity, but at a very dear cost.

The knife is real in a way that the mirrored human being can never be. You see, this skin, it above all else partitions the world into a me and a not-me. This skin is what keeps in all these chemicals that are making me tired, bored, d*pr*ss*d. It doesn't take much to restore pre-conscious contentedness: a quick little slash in a non-obvious place, and all the outside comes inside and trades places with me. Think of it as small-scale trepanation; I have my own demons to let out. With this mark, my topology is fundamentally altered, and that is really the important part. Not fucking my mother and killing my father. Not the id, ego, superego, trinity in the age of the profane. Just that one universal dichotomy, me and not-me. Think of the cutting as Deconstruction: I transcend the binary opposition and the whole of Western logocentrism by seeking out the différance that resulted in the establishment of the opposition in the first place.

I rinse off the blade and go about my life. It should heal within a week or so.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.