Before you freak out, listen to my first paragraph

I really like the idea of socalism/communism, everyone give what they want, only take what they need. However, notice I said the idea. Everyone knows that people are corrupt, greedy and selfish. This is, in a simple form, the current downfall of a classless society.

This, however didn't stop my thought experiment. What, I thought, could be done in the future to allievite this? Since I hal already identified money, power, and greed as the main factor that was currently causing a problem, why not project a future where that is gone. What you would need is a society where you not only had replicators, but where anything could be replicated.

First off everything would have to be replicated in a rather fast order; eg, you couldn't have a one year wait to replicate a starship. You can see some problems with this already -- what if someone wants something really big, like a space station? What you have to do then is place limits on what can be replicated. This is already the first breaking point, as people will still want these things, even though they can't have them. Second off we have the factor of control: say futuristic guns can be replicated instatenously. This will obviously be a big problem as most people wouldn't like others to have access to a large amount of guns. Therefore you would need control. This begins the problem of power. You can say, well, since this is the future, everyone can vote, and there is no corruption in the system. However, there is nothing to say that people can't convince others to vote for a way they want something. Right there you have the beginning of a class.

Hopefully this small thought experiment that I thought up over a weeks time or such is useful. In case of any *gasp* internal inconsistancies, feel free to elaborate!

I think DanteAliegri has a point. Money, greed, and power are the factors causing the main problem.

If we look closely, I think we will find that while everything around us promotes this, a true "thought experiment", as a real experiment, would have to envision a world without this stuff--advertising, media saturation, children flacking for Nike, sports stars shills for sugared drinks, and child exploiters.

But why need replicators? I know many will deny it, but we don't live in an age of scarcity; it is an age of plenty. Realistic plans exist to provide things needed, not only in the first world, but also in the others.

It is our moralism, our ingrained notions telling others they must suffer--we just can't give them what they need. What are all the debates about "welfare as we know it", if not this?

You hear it all the time, "They are lazy; they are stupid; they are immoral; they are dirty." This isn't the way they are; this is the way we see them.

Who wants a space station? People want to have a decent place to live, health care, education, food, and since everybody else has one, a television, a radio, and even a computer.

Our society produces these things whether we buy them or not. Fewer and fewer are needed to do this. Is all the hype about high technology just hype, or is the time when plenty is available to all for free now--or will are morality get in the way, require "those" people always to work, and suffer.

Let's see a real thought experiment.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.