A Tasty Adult Beverage with the following ingredients.

Pour coffee liqueur and vodka in an old-fashioned glass over ice cubes and fill with milk or cream.

Enjoy!

- the best damned drink in town

I'm sipping on one right now between paragraphs. Damn that's good stuff. I like a little added vodka, but that's more an acquired taste. Take it your own pace. Which is what a white russian is all about.

The great thing about it is that it tastes good, but isn't excessively sissy like a Scorpion or Sex on the Beach or something fruity tasting like that. It can be a man's drink, but that sexy lady next to you in the club always wants a sip too.

Check out the way The Dude mixes his in The Big Lebowski. Studiously casual, barely even paying attention while he mixes it. None of this "half an oz. of this and that" nonsense. That's the real way to make a white russian. Doesn't taste quite right? Add more of whatever's missing. Relax. Smoke a joint. Enjoy the simple pleasures in life.

White Russian also describes those on the counter-revolutionary side in the Russian Civil War, fought in 1917 and 1918. These included supporters of the Tsar, as well as supporters of Alexander Kerensky's February Revolution. They were beaten by the Red Army under the command of Leon Trotsky.

The drink of choice for the empathetic Dude (or Duderino, if you're not into that whole brevity thing) of The Big Lebowski.

The Coen brothers often use one reoccuring object throughout each of their movies as somewhat of a tie-in. And, although the gratuitious mentions and appearance of Dapper Dan Pomade in their latest flick O Brother, Where Art Thou actually pushed the line between catchy and ridiculous, their reoccuring White Russian worked quite well in The Big Lebowski.

The Dude (Jeff Bridges) drinks White Russians, exclusively and constantly. In fact, the movie opens with him in his bathrobe chugging from a carton of cream in the middle of the grocery store to make sure its good enough for his home bar; fully stocked to cater only towards the creation his delectable drink. At one point he is drugged by a group of nihilists with toxins hidden in a particularly strong white russian. The Dude spends most of his free time at the alley with his fellow bowling leaguers (Steve Buscemi and John Goodman), where he taints his moustache with creamy white russians as they drink beer, the more typical bowling alley fare. He is such the regular at that particular alley that when he orders 'another caucasian' the bartender has already begun to pour the vodka.

My friend Jaques likes white russians, very milky, with lots of half and half. My friend Jane never drinks. One night, Jane had a sip of Jaques' white russian, and went into a momentary reverie. She reported having thought hard, and realized that she recognized the taste from her childhood.... when she was unable to sleep, her mother would bring her a little glass of "vanilla milk" which had reliable soporific properties.

Her mother denies this.

Upon hearing this, my friend Lisa reported that her mother used to give her "medicine" before embarking on long plane trips. When she grew up and saw her mother giving it to her younger siblings, she recognized it as diphenhydramine.
Before the invention of the White Russian cocktail, the term referred simply to the people and language of Belarus, whose name actually means "White Russia." The connection is far less apparent in English-speaking countries than in Germany, where the country is called Weissrussland.

Its origin has nothing to do with the race or ethnicity of Belarusians, who are Slavic just like their eastern neighbors in Russia. Some scholars think that "white" was originally used as a synonym for "free" in old Slavic languages, and "White Russia" got its name because it, unlike the other Russian principalities, was never invaded or ruled by the Tatars. It's also possible that it came about as a way of distinguishing "White Russian" territory from the "Black Russia" ruled from Kiev.

My wife is lactose intolerant, but has always loved white russians. I guess sometimes severe chronic intestinal discomfort is just worth it. Anyway, one night I suggested that she use the soy milk she drinks in her drink.

Blammo! Excellent!

We've found that Nature's Promise vanilla-flavored soy milk makes an excellent white russian. She uses 1.5 oz. of each of Kahlua and vodka, rather than the ratio suggested above, and the taste is fantastic. Sometimes I take 'em this way, and I'm a big milk drinker. Try it on!

NOTE: CrAzE informs me that there is a drink similar to this called a "white vegan." It seems my new and exciting ideas have already occurred to others.

Everything Bartender

I am totally mystified by this node. I used to drink White Russians exclusively. However the recipe we used and the one we were served in bars and restaurants went something like this:

White Russian


1 jigger vodka
1 ounce white crème de cacao
1 ounce heavy cream

Serve over ice cubes in an old-fashioned glass.


The three "white" liquids is what makes it a White Russian vs. a Black Russian. Maybe it has something to do with where you drink them or the style and recipes of the Mixologists. I am not saying the one listed above is wrong, it is just different from the ones I am familiar with. Here is another Kahlua and cream drink you might also enjoy. Kahlua Egg Cream




Note: This conversion table might be helpful if you live in a country which
uses other different measures.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.