In the Philippines, a white lady is a certain kind of aswang or ghost, which seems to be a more recent invention than the manananggal, for example. The white lady is typically encountered when you're driving on a deserted street late at night.

The white lady is usually depicted to be wearing a white dress (thus the name), and has very long hair. She is alternately described as having a very beautiful face, and hideously ugly.

In some stories, she hurls herself in front of your car. But when you stop and get out of the car, she is not there any more. Sometimes, she is walking down the street, and suddenly disappears.

Whatever she does though, a few minutes later, you will find that she is sitting beside you in the car.

White ladies are commonly encountered late at night in deserted highways, especially the route from Manila to Baguio. Balete Drive in Quezon City is known for being haunted by this ghost.

I have lived at Balete Drive for a number of years, I have never encountered this strange creature... but when we need to go out of the house late at night, we always go out in pairs, just in case.

The White Lady of Fonte' River: Local Ghostly Apparition (Guamanian/Chamorro)

The island of Guam is a tropical paradise, with lush vegetation, and glorious beaches where water as clear as glass laps upon pristine white sand. The indigenous Chamorro people tell of a chilling apparition that sometimes walks this beautiful landscape as the sun is dipping below the horizon of the Phillipine Sea. Their stories are of a ghostly woman in a flowing white dress, her silver hair caught in the last rays of dusk, her red eyes sad and weary.

In life, the White Lady of Guam was the Chamorro wife of one of the Spanish officers garrisoned there in the seventeenth century. The couple lived in the tranquil little town of Maina. Their life together was far from idyllic, however, as her dashing groom quickly turned into a hateful and demanding husband. Each evening, he would send his wife on an arduous and dangerous trek to fetch stream water before dinner.

She began to savour these long, moonlit hikes. Who could blame her? A trek in the jungle, even if dangerous, is still time away from her creepy husband, so I think I can understand her choice.

One dark and stormy night, as the island girl picked her way through the gloom and mud, the river bank gave way, plunging the helpless woman to her doom in the rain-swollen waters below.

Since that night, her terrifying apparition has been reported countless times—usually in one of a few specific locations (including, of course, the place where she is supposed to have fallen into the river). Usually, the White Lady is beautiful, with shimmering hair and gown, but on occasion her aspect is more terrifying and bestial. She may be covered in fur, and sometimes assumes the form of an animal. The lonely girl is attracted to men and will try to touch them with her hand, leaving a red mark where she touches.

Despite her terrifying side, the Chamorros recognize a benevolence in this ghost as well. Her appearances often warn of impending storms, and her warnings have saved lives.


References:
http://ns.gov.gu/legends/whitelady.html
Special thanks to Leah U. for her help and guidance

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.