This is a really easy soup
You will need:
Now do this with all of that:
- One large white onion, chopped fairly finely
- Two cloves of garlic, minced
- One jalapeno minced, seeds and spines included
- The juice of one small lemon (set the zest aside for a garnish)
- Two tins creamed corn (or make your own in a blender)
- One cup frozen or fresh corn (white corn would be fun).
- Two and a half cups vegetable broth (a vegetable cube is okay if you don’t have stock).
- Half a teaspoon of whole cumin seed
- One teaspoon dried mustard powder
- A quarter teaspoon white pepper
- Two teaspoons buttermilk or yogurt
- One poblano pepper
Sauté the onions in a mixture of butter and olive oil until they become translucent, then add the garlic, jalapeno, cumin seed, curry powder, mustard, white pepper and a little salt, and cook until these become fragrant. Then add the creamed corn, frozen corn, vegetable stock, and lemon juice. Bring the soup to a boil and then turn it down to minimum.
When the temperature drops somewhat, swirl in two tablespoons of buttermilk or yogurt to provide a very slight tang. Just before serving, slice the poblano into very thin spears, toss them in a small amount of olive oil and broil them on a piece of tinfoil. Scatter them over the surface of the soup and finish off with the lemon zest.
Bean Butter With Fresh Herbs