You've met her, you like her, you want to take it a step further, you look into her eyes and say "You are so beautiful."

The question is this: why is this such a good thing to say to a woman? Basically we're congratulating a woman for conforming to a socially determined aesthetic principle -in what way does this make her a good or worthwhile person? Why is this considered one of the highest compliments you can give a woman? You look great in slacks, therefore you deserve to be treated nicely.

To my mind it reflects a social position that places the success of a woman on how good she looks - a variation on the social structure that determines a woman's value by the number of children she has.

Not so, for beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This is one of the few truths that the world still holds. You are talking about using the line as pillow talk, if I say a woman is beautiful, she meets my standards, no one elses.

If I look into her eyes and tell her she's beautiful, it's because what's inside of her shines out so strongly.

Call it bullshit, claptrap, hogwash, etc. but it's the truth. She, the person, the individual who my heart is clamouring for, has so seized my being that she is beautiful, outer epidermis notwithstanding.

Sometimes beauty is an acquired taste. A girl who you thought was not very attractive the first time you met her can be one of the most beautiful people you've ever seen after you've fallen in love with her. And I'm not talking about thinking that she's beautiful because her inner beauty shines through. I'm talking about sincerely thinking that a woman's appearance is beautiful, despite feeling otherwise the first time you met.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.