A television series created by Mel Brooks, Norman Stiles, and John Boni and aired on ABC. The series starred Richard Gautier, Dick Van Patten, and Bernie Kopell.

In the mid-1970's, no name had more comic clout than Mel Brooks. Having had two hit movies Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein, Brooks turned his eye to developing a television series. The result was When Things Were Rotten, a send-up of the Robin Hood legend.

Beginning in the fall of 1975, When Things Were Rotten starred Richard Gautier as the egotistical Robin Hood. Amongst his Merry Men were two psuedo-stars of the 1970's and 80's, Bernie Kopell as Alan-a-Dale prior to his medical mission aboard The Love Boat and Dick Van Patten as Friar Tuck before he appeared on the heart-warming series Eight is Enough.

The series humor was pure Brooks, including conga lines, men dressed as women, and modern references galore. The series did not do particularly well in the ratings and only lasted a few months. Fans of the series had a serious case of deja vu in the early 1990's when Brooks brought to the big screen his other Robin Hood parody, Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.