I believe that loneliness is one of the worst emotional feelings that one can have. You lose faith in a lot of things. You lose faith in humanity, life, even other people walking down the street, but most of all yourself. You start thinking, “What is so wrong with me that no one looks at you (people of the opposite sex mostly). Am I too young? Too fat? Too ugly? All these things run through your mind when you are out, by yourself, on a Friday night looking for someone to talk to. I have a couple of GREAT friends who would be there for me in a heartbeat, but they are not in any position to provide the companionship that I need to sustain a fulfilling lifestyle.

Some people say, “It will come with time…” or “You should join a church, that will give you the opportunity to make friends!” Well, I know that beggars can’t be choosers and I am definitely in a “beggars” position, but I don’t want to change the way that I am so that I can make friends. I would like to think that someone out there would like me the way I am now. Also, the fact that I am a timid, low-self esteemed individual doesn’t help my situation at all. It feels like the only people that I can make contact with are the ones on the other end of a chat room that live in bum-fuck Egypt. Feeling this way makes you have less than happy thoughts and once those thoughts start popping into your head, it is hard to think of anything else. There is a “funk” that one falls into. I guess you could call it a rut or something of that nature. I believe that it is plain old depression. I know they have some great drugs out there for this condition, some over-the-counter and some illegal. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t, and when they wear off, you are back at square one.

You can call me a hopeless romantic or a whiner but I know that there are other people that feel the same way. Oh well…

A critical mass is reached where the emotional desolation surpasses a slow but insidious sublimation point and changes qualitatively into manifesting physically; the palms itch, the skin slowly turns blue, joints progressively get skewed and in extreme cases, the lips disappear.

Treatment: While remedies vary from case to case (there existing radical treatments recently developed for the variants being lonely in a crowd and loneliness while making love) the generally-applied topical treatment consists of sufficient dosages of antidepressants, television and/or conspicuous consumption such that the subject is no longer sensible enough to realize exactly how lonely they are. Terminal cases can be eased, if not cured, by granting the inflicted the succour of Internet access and letting them exchange thoughts 24 hours a day with lonely and desperate people all over the datasphere in a frantic mockery of real, face-to-face interaction. This measure is only to be taken for advanced cases, however, as once adopting the painkiller of network therapy subjects stop responding to lower-level, physically-healing treatments.

Ultimately the afflicted transcend and become entities of sheer data, their old bodies turning black and falling off as they roam the grid aching for a hug and the smell of a fresh loaf of bread.

There is no known cure for getting too lonely.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.