A line attributed many times to Shakespeare but actually it's from American author/critic/poet and wit Dorothy Parker. She is reported to have exclaimed "What fresh hell is this?" when her train of thought was interrupted by a telephone. She then started using it in place of "hello" when answering the phone or a knock at her door. In many ways she can be considered the patron saint of all tech support workers.

She was known not only for her wit (she's been described as the funniest woman America has ever produced) but for an extremely pessimistic view on life.

Author Marion Meade used her most famous line as the title for Dorothy Parker's biography.

Other famous witticisms by Parker:

I require three things in a man. He must be handsome, ruthless and stupid. HA HA

The only "ism" Hollywood believes in is plagiarism.

(Quote about the Yale prom) Quite an affair...If all the girls were laid end to end, well, I wouldn't be a bit surprised

You can't teach an old dogma new tricks.

If you want to see what God thinks of money, look at the people he gave it to. HA HA THAT'S MY FAVORITE

This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force.

When asked to use the word 'horticulture' in a sentence: You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

That woman speaks eight languages and can't say no in any of them.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.