Sometimes it's tough to remember. You've got a lot of other things to think about, like "Why does it burn when I pee?" or "Who the @#$% does she think she is filing this restraining order
?". You can't be expected remember
what day of the week it is on top of all that. Don't fear! Because even if you only know the date, you can figure out the day of the week
in just a few simple steps:
- Take the last two digits of the year.
- Divide by 4, discarding any fraction.
- Add the day of the month.
- Add the month's key value: JFM AMJ JAS OND 144 025 036 146
- Subtract 1 for January or February of a leap year.
- For a Gregorian date, add 0 for 1900's, 6 for 2000's, 4 for 1700's, 2 for 1800's; for other years, add or subtract multiples of 400.
- For a Julian date, add 1 for 1700's, and 1 for every additional century you go back.
- Add the last two digits of the year.
- Divide by 7 and take the remainder.
Now 1 is Sunday, the first day of the week, 2 is Monday, and so on.
Even if you're not good at math, there's another method for finding out what day it is...
- Walk up behind someone.
- Poke them with your finger (or a stick, if one is handy)
- Ask them what day it is.
The problem with this method is that you might have to verify it, as their mind might be filled with the same kinds of things yours is, like "Is this itch
ever going away?" or "Didn't I file a restraining order against this jerk?"