Some Christians use this easy-to-remember question to evaluate their decisions, when uncertain if a given course of action would lead to sin. Sin is wrong and should be avoided whenever possible/reasonable.

This phrase just a harmless memory aid intended for those who choose to use it. Lighten up.

Aside from being a catchy, marketable phrase that is included on a variety of objects, "What would Jesus do?" is also a very difficult, yet rewarding, way to live your life. Something I wish to stress is that, although the idea is amazingly simple, practicing this concept on a daily basis is quite complex. It is one thing to wear a fashionable bracelet; it is quite another to actually live its slogan.

Of course it is useful to consider this question in large, important decisions (Would Jesus shoot this guy? Would Jesus rob this bank?) but it is also worth noting in much smaller, less significant dilemmas (Would Jesus leave his dishes in the sink and hope someone else would take care of them? Would Jesus let this person merge in heavy traffic? Would Jesus pick on the dork or would he hang out with him?) Once you realize what the answer is, it can become pretty easy to "forget" to ask the question. I don't always want to think about my actions (or lack of action). Although, I have noticed that when I do reflect on the situation, an added reward is attached: a sense of approval and knowing that I did the right thing.

Regardless of your beliefs, considering what someone would do in the name of love and forgiveness is never a bad idea.

This question originated from the book "In His Steps", by
Charles M. Sheldon. It is a collection of sermons about a
fictional pastor who challenged his congregation to ask
"What would Jesus do?" about everything in their lives.
One of the reasons for the popularity may be that the
book's copyright had not been registered properly, so
printers everywhere were able to print copies of the
public domain book.

What Have I Done?!?

Have you found yourself in a situation where you're not sure what to do? Are the possibilites overwhelming? Wish you could just get a second opinion on the whole thing — from someone wiser, older, and possibly more Godly than you?

Well, you've come to the right place!

Pause for a moment and ask yourself, What Would Jesus Do? If you're short on time, you could just go with WWJD. Or if you're really in a bind, WTFWJD? But then again, What wouldn't Jesus do?

Response not to your liking? Want a second second opinion? Fear not, there are a few other spiritually wise persons to counsel:

What Would God Do? (Again, if you're short on time, you can go with WWGD?)
What Would Buddha Do?

What about some "evil" folks?

What Would Cthulhu Do? (while you're at it, Why was Cthulu blue?)
What would the Lord of Eternal Darkness do?
What Would Judas Do?

Sometimes, wise advice comes from mere mortals:

What Would Jackie Chan Do?
What Would Frank Do?
What would Brian Boitano do?
What Would John Rocker Do?
What Would Heinlein Do?
What would Feynman do?

Usually, however, wiser advice comes from dead historical figures:

What would Nietzsche do?
What would Machiavelli do?
What Would Freud Say?

Remember that T.V. show?

What Would You Do?

Failing that, try some fictional characters:

What would Wesley Crusher do?
What would Tyler Durden do?
What Would Batman Do?

Although you might get a better answer from a machine:

What would a universal Turing machine do?

Oh, it's something about Everything2?

What Would Sensei Do?
WWwD?
What would EDB do?

Are you running Linux?

What would Solaris do?

No, wait, you really did want to talk to Jesus, didn't you?

What Drugs Would Jesus Do?
What Would Jesus Drink?
Who Would Jesus Bomb?
How Would Jesus Drive? (of course, this begs the question what would Jesus drive?)

However, it really all comes down to this:

What would I do?

If you keep finding yourself in situations that cause you to refer to this node, I suggest you ask yourself WAIAMQWIITIOJDTRT? You may just decide that Christ is the Answer, and forget the whole thing.

Got a new one? Let me know.

Thanks, haze!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.