Weymouth is a small city south of Boston, Massachusetts founded in 1622. Weymouth is the second oldest town in Massachusetts (after Plymouth, Massachusetts). Borders Quincy and Braintree and the Fore River.

Weymouth sits on Hingham Bay and Route 3 passes directly through it. It acts primarily as a bedroom community to its population of 53,988 residents. Weymouth existed primarily as a farming community until the Stetson Shoe factory opened. The manufacture of shoes, however, was moved overseas in the late 1900s and in 1978, the Stetson Shoe Company went out of business (although the manufacture of shoes had long been of declining importance).

The town has rapidly grown over the last 50 years, and is now officially a city. The decision to form an official city was a long contested one. Weymouth was the first town to use the Town Meeting form of governance. However, Weymouth now elects a mayor and Town Council as it had outgrown its historic style. It is home to one of the best combinations of Academic Decathlon, Math Team and ACSL teams in the country, with at least 2 winning the state championship for five years in a row.

Update : Looking between mine and danegrep's writeups, it becomes apparent it seems like I like Weymouth. Far from the case. The school system does suck even though some of us succeed. There are water restrictions (although its both sides of Weymouth). This isnt reflected in test scores when Vocational students are balanced but its still true (not really near the lowest)).

What this noder forgot to mention is that Weymouth's newly elected mayor, the not-so-honorable David Madden immediatly purchased a new car after taking office. The town has also sold it's future short by allowing a Virginia developer to build the largest mall in New England on the grounds of the former South Weymouth Naval Air Base. Weymouth also has had year-round water restrictions because there isn't enough to go around for all the soccer moms and yuppies that move into the suburban sprawl that is South Weymouth.

And despite having winning acedemic teams, Weymouth still has some of the worst standardized test scores in the Massachusetts. The schools are atrocious hellholes, and the spectacular acedemic preformance mentioned by Woundweavr is often done by a chosen few, who have been heavily pampered and prepared to draw attention from the condition of the public schools.

Plus the town was founded in 1622, not 1623, when a settlement was established at King's Cove in North Weymouth.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.