West Coast Eagles: Australian Rules team, in the Australian Football League.


Joined competition: 1987
Colours: Blue and Yellow
Home Ground: The WACA (West Australian Cricket Association ground) and Subiaco Oval

History: West Coast's is a short, but proud history. The club was established in 1987 as one of 2 expansion clubs, the other being Brisbane. This marked the beginning of the Australian Football League. Western Australia is a proud footblal state, having produced many talented players over the years. West Coast was a virtual 'best of' Western Australia side.

Even in their very first season, West Coast showed signs of success, winning 11 games out of 22 and just missing the finals. Even so, the coach was sacked, and Ron Todd took over. He lead the Eagles to their first finals series in 1988, where Melbourne knocked them out. The next year, West Coast again missed the finals, and Mick Malthouse took over as coach.

Success was immediate. During Malthouse's stint, West Coast made every single finals series. Just as Hawthorn were the 'Team of the Eighties', West Coast were the 'Team of the Nineties'. In 1991, the Eagles became the first interstate (non-Victorian) to make a grand final, losing to the Hawks. The next year, the West Coast claimed their first premiership with a victory over Geelong. for the first time, the coveted Premiership Cup left Victoria.

Two years later, the Premiership Cup again headed west when the Eagles beat the Cats, again.

The second half of the nineties was a time of consistancy for West Coast. They were always up there, but never really threatened. At the end of 1999, Mick Malthouse went back to Victoria, to coach Collingwood, and Ken Judge took over. West Coast looked to be beginning to decline. Their core of players who kept them at the top for a decade began to retire, and in 2000 and 2001, they were near the foot of the ladder. This is a new situation for West Coast fans accustomed to success.

Now, we see how loyal the West Aussie fans really are.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.