Liner notes from the Carpenters' album The Singles 1969-1973
written by Digby Diehl

"The televison commercial for a Californian bank caught Richard's attention one day when he recognized the voice of Paul Williams singing in the background. The Paul Williams / Roger Nichols songwriting team, at this time virtually unknown, had written We've Only Just Begun as background for a scene in which a newlywed couple had only just begun. The Carpenters released their own interpretation of this song in September of 1970, and it followed Close To You into the No. 1 spot, and into the gold record category.

In terms of recognition, this is probably the most important song the Carpenters have recorded. Letters from all over the world, written by people who are newlyweds or -- tragically -- potential suicides, have celebrated this song's uplifting feeling of hope. Richard says, 'Taking everything into consideration, song, lyric, arrangement, orchestration and vocal performance, this is probably our best single. If I had to pick a favorite out of all our songs, this is it.'"


We've Only Just Begun
written by Paul Williams and Roger Nichols

We've only just begun to live White lace and promises
A kiss for luck and we're on our way
And yes, We've just begun

Before the rising sun we fly
So many roads to choose
We start our walking and learn to run
And yes, We've just begun

Sharing horizons that are new to us
Watching the signs along the way
Talking it over just the two of us
Working together day to day
Together

And when the evening comes we smile
So much of life ahead
We'll find a place where there's room to grow
And yes, We've just begun



permission granted for liner text by A&M Records 2003

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.