1. A drinking glass or a goblet.
  2. A box or a tube with a transparent bottom used for clear observation of things below the surface of a water.
  3. A sodium silicate; a water-soluble silicate compound.
  4. A clepsydra; a water clock.
Paraphrased from: American Heritage Dictionary

Making a cheap, home-made water glass (cf. hydroscope) is a no-brainer: simply replace the bottom of a milk carton with a saran wrap, and tape it down with masking tape. Fun for clearly observing fishes, amphibians, and crustaceans move about in a pond, etc. without getting your face wet.
At horse shows, the different types of competitions are called classes. There are two main categories of classes, the serious and the fun. The water glass class belongs to the latter.

At the beginning of the class, all riders are given a full glass of water. The class proceeds as normal and at the end the rider with the most water in their glass wins. The water glass class is usually held near the end of the show, after the tension of competition has passed and the riders can enjoy themselves.

It is not at all uncommon for the riders to dispose of their remaining water in the direction of the winner. If it becomes clear that only a couple of riders are in the running during the line up, one rider may choose to relieve themselves of some of their water. This is usually done after making the other rider aware of their intension, thereby prompting the other rider to decide if they would rather win the class or serve as a water disposal target. This dumping of carefully dispensed amounts of water by the leading riders can last quite a while, and is a crowd favorite.

Spitting in the glass is strictly prohibited.

Specifically, the class is conducted according to these rules (based on the TWHBEA (Tennessee Walking Horse) rules):
  • Each entrant enters the ring holding a full glass of water.
  • One hand only is to be used in holding the glass, out and away from the body of horse and rider.
  • The hand may not cover the top of the glass.
  • Riders perform the flat walk and plantation running walk both ways of the ring.
  • A noticeable change in speed between the flat walk and the running walk is mandatory, and the horse must be excused if a distinct change in speed is not performed.
  • The riders line up and the judge visits each in turn to determine how much water is left.
  • The rider with the most water left in their glass wins.
  • In the event of a tie, the judge may ask the riders to canter.

Sources:
[1]: http://www.twhbea.com/062568D6007A2B8A/index/pleasureclass.htm

Wa"ter glass` (?). Chem.

See Soluble glass, under Glass.

 

© Webster 1913.


Water glass.

1.

A clepsydra.

2.

An instrument consisting of an open box or tube with a glass bottom, used for examining objects in the water, as upon the sea bottom in shallow places.

3.

A water gauge for a steam boiler.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.