For some reason, you want to become a werewolf in nethack
... or a were something else. You can become a werejackal, werewolf
, or wererat. Personally, I recommend wolf
s and rat
s are wimp
s. Now, the classic hit code itself is in mhitu.c (monster hits you) and the block reads:
if (uncancelled && !rn2(4) && u.ulycn == NON_PM &&
u.ulycn = monsndx(mdat);
What this means:
- You get hit.
then you 'feel feverish', and penalize your CON stat, and become a were.
- the monster has not been 'cancelled' (spell or wand)
- 1:4 chance
- And the monster is in its weremode
- And you don't have protection from shape changers (ring)
- And your weapon doesn't defend you from weres (Werebane)
It is also possible to become a were after completely consuming a corpse of a were. Realize, that if you are a human, and a class that does not allow cannibalism (caveman) - this is a 'bad' idea.
The majority of the actual were-code itself is stored in were.c and it has some interesting tidbits in it.
- If it is day, and not a full moon, chances of a were in animal form are 1:50
- If it is day, and a full moon, chances of a were in animal form are 1:30
- If it is night, and not a full moon, chances of a were in animal form are 1:10
- If it is night, and a full moon, chances of a were in animal form are 1:3
- Whatever the case, if you have protection from shape changers (as
above), they will be human (not animal form).
Transforming into a were will:
- Recover 1/4th of lost hp
- Break armor that is too small
- Drop weapons that can't be wielded
- Allow were the ability to summon a horde
This is controllable with the polymorph
control ring. And forced by drinking a potion of unholy water
or having one thrown at you.
Summoning a horde will summon between 1 and 5 monsters as follows:
Return from beast mode can be done in a number of ways. Some of these
remove the lycanthropy along with restoring you.
- Eating a spring of wolfsbane (removes lycanthropy and restores to normal)
- Drinking a potion of holy water (removes lycanthropy and restores
- Breathing a potion of holy water (restores only)
- Praying (its near the end of the list but removes lycanthropy and
restores to normal)
Have fun and happy howling.