An affiliate of NBC news and based out of Albany, NY, WNYT is now the only upstate New York television to ever win an Emmy award for best newscast in the state. Known for its balanced combination of national news and local interest stories, Channel 13 News is often ranked highest in the region for quality reporting. Previously owned by VIACOM since 1980, the owners of WNYT had talks in 1996 and the station was bought out by Robert Hubbard of Hubbard Broadcasting based out of St. Paul, MN.

Anchors:

  • Ed Dague: A broadcast journalist in the Capital Region since 1968, Ed Dague brings a broad range of experience to WNYT. He has been managing editor and anchor at the station since 1984. He won the Associated Press Broadcast Reporter of the Year award in 1982. Ed Dague strikes me as a seasoned, intelligent reporter.
  • John Gray: Anchoring the 5:00 and 5:30 P.M. weekday newscasts, John Gray came to the station in 1988 as a producer. From that position, he was hired as a reporter, finally moving on to news anchor. He volunteers time with the Special Olympics and has won Best Investigative Series from the New York State Broadcasters Association.
  • Elaine Houston: With experience in radio and television, Elaine Houston was employed by WNYT in 1990. She also works as an education and general assignment reporter. From what I've seen of her, she's an intelligent woman who can deliver the facts clearly.
  • Jim Kambrich: A general assignment reporter and weekday 5 A.M. to 7 A.M. news anchor, Jim Kambrich joined NewsChannel13 in the early 90's. With radio and television experience at many stations throughout the country, he is a graduate of Syracuse University.
  • Lydia Kulbida: Co-anchoring the weekday 6 P.M. and 11 P.M. newscasts with Ed Dague, Lydia Kulbida is a recent addition to the WNYT anchors. As a reporter in Massachusetts, she travelled all over the world. She also flew with the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds, flying an F-16. She is known in the station for her work with children, and is a graduate of New York University.
  • Lars Lifrak: As the weekend sports anchor, Lars Lifrak came to WNYT from Arizona where he worked with the Arizona Cardinals. He graduated from Arizona State with a degree in broadcasting.
  • Kelly Lynch: Working with the station intermittently for several years, she anchors the weekend news and works as a general assignment reporter during the week. To me she's very chipper, but a good reporter.
  • Rodger Wyland: Joining WNYT in August of 1986, Rodger Wyland currently hosts Big Board Sports Sundays at 11:30 P.M. and is the 11 P.M. sports anchor and reporter. He also hosts Big Board Radio Sports Talk weekdays from 7 P.M. to 9 P.M. on WOFX-AM 980. He's a typical "sports guy" type, but I also think Wyland is both informative and entertaining during his shows.

Also working with the news team are reporters John Allen, Phil Bayly, Josh Einiger, Steve Scoville, Craig Smith, Kumi Tucker and Bill Lambdin; meterologists Howard Altschule, Paul Caiano, Lee Copsonand Bob Kovachick; political commentator Dr. Alan Chartock and entertainment critic Jay Bobbin.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.