Contains the Blue Ridge and Allegheny mountains. Birthplace of George Washington and Robert E. Lee. Joined the Confederate States of America in the U.S. Civil War. West Virginia split off at this time to become a new state and remain in the Union. Many Civil War Battles were fought here. Also you can find Monticello, home of Thomas Jefferson, third president of the United States.

Virginia's municipality incorporation law is unique among the United States, in that Virginia municipalities incorporated as "cities" are automatically independent of county government. Thus, of the independent cities of the States, the vast majority are Virginian.

United States of America

Also known as "the Commonwealth;" home to the headquarters of the NRA. A Republican state with liberal conceal/carry laws and nasty annual property taxes (4.5%) on cars, boats, houses, everything. A great place to work, as the high tech job market is booming here. Little known fact: Half of the world's Internet traffic passes through Northern Virginia.

They say that Virginia is for Lovers, but I suspect this is a myth.

I really like Virginia.

The state motto is Sic Semper Tyrannis, or "Thus Always to Tyrants". The state flag depicts a solider (Virtue, representing Virginia) with one foot triumphantly standing on top of another solider. The fallen warrior is holding a scourge and chain to show he is a tyrant, his crown lies nearby as well.

Because most of the East Coast laws and state governments were setup after being under a king, most of them have numerous individual protections from the government itself (which also tends to make them more Right Wing). One aspect that Virginia has that you won't find in a state west of the Missippippi is a Magistrate. When you are arrested by the police you appear before the Magistrate, who sets bail or decides that the police should've never arrested you in the first place. Sure other states do this too, but the Magistrate is not part of police as it is in most states. Thus you don't have the police checking the police. In fact, usually magistrates aren't even lawyers, but rather someone outside the system who has an objective view on the situation.

A common rendition of the Latin female name Verginia, a name applied to female members of the Roman gens Verginii.

When used to refer to a specific Virginia/Verginia, the reference is to a story told by Livy (3:44-58) and later retold by Petrarch and Chaucer (in The Doctor's Tale).

In this traditional Roman legend, supposedly occurring during the time in Roman history when the decemviri were in session in Rome, working out a code of laws (the Twelve Tables), Verginia was a daughter of L. Verginius, a centurion. One of the decemvirs, Appius Claudius, became infatuated with her. In order to possess her, he had one of his clients claim her as slave - then, judging the case himself, pronounced judgement in favour of his client.

Upon hearing of the false judgement, L. Verginius stabbed his daughter, killing her to save her from indignity. Carrying the bloodstained dagger, he then proceeded to the army camp, where he incited a rebellion which overthrew the decemviri.

A classically Roman tale, this story offers justification for a political reorganisation, couched in terms of redress for an outrageous act of injustice by the overthrown party. History is written by the winners, a fact of which the Romans were ever aware.

Vir*gin"i*a (?), n.

One of the States of the United States of America.

--

a.

Of or pertaining to the State of Virginia.

Virginia cowslip Bot., the American lungwort (Mertensia Virginica). -- Virginia creeper Bot., a common ornamental North American woody vine (Ampelopsis quinquefolia), climbing extensively by means of tendrils; -- called also woodbine, and American ivy. [U.S.] -- Virginia fence. See Worm fence, under Fence. -- Virginia nightingale Zool., the cardinal bird. See under Cardinal. -- Virginia quail Zool., the bobwhite. -- Virginia reel, an old English contradance; -- so called in the United States. Bartlett. -- Virginia stock. Bot. See Mahon stock.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.