There is a knock at the HQ door. It's answered by Janine Melnitz.

"Picking up or dropping off?" she asks the policeman at the door.

"Dropping off," the policeman intones, as he leads Janine and Egon Spengler, who has joined her at the door, to the back of a police van. Inside is a rumpled, bespectacled man wearing a straightjacket. Egon runs his PKE meter over the man. "You'd better bring him inside," he says.

"I think it's great that you're looking after that man. You're a real humanitarian," remarks Janine.

"I don't think he's human," concludes Egon.

Vinz Clortho was who Louis Tully (played by Rick Moranis) turned into upon being possessed by the spirit of Gozer the Gozarian, the infamous Sumerian (not Babylonian) god. This all happens in the classic movie Ghostbusters (1984).

If you haven't seen Ghostbusters (who hasn't?), then the following may seem quite strange.

Vinz Clortho was the Keymaster, whose apparent sole purpose in life was to seek out and copulate with the Gatekeeper (a.k.a. Dana Barrett/Zuul (played by Sigourney Weaver)). Vinz didn't seem all that in touch with his surroundings, as he asked everyone he came in contact with if they were the Gatekeeper, including a horse.

He seems to enjoy the odd cup/pot of coffee...

Janine: Do you want some coffee, Mr. Tully?
Vinz: (to Egon) Do I?
Egon: Yes, have some.
Vinz: (to Janine) Yes, have some.
Vinz takes a big swig of boiling water directly from the pot and smiles jovially.

He also sings the praises of Gozer...

Egon: Vinz, you said before you were waiting for a sign. What sign are you waiting for?
Vinz: Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms! During the rectification of the Vuldranii, the Traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrix supplicants, they chose a new form for him — that of a giant Sloar! Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you!

And then, of course, Vinz finds love...

Zuul the Gatekeeper: I am the Gatekeeper.
Vinz: I am the Keymaster.
(Insert one lusty kiss here.)

Eventually, Vinz is turned into a fearsome frogdog by Gozer the Destructor, and then a statue of a fearsome frogdog. Once the spirit of Vinz leaves Louis' body and the stone that made up the frogdog statue's form was broken and dismantled, Louis surveyed the carnage on his building's rooftop and uttered these words: "Boy, the superintendent's gonna be pissed!"

Unfortunately, Vinz did not return in Ghostbusters II (although Louis Tully did), in the studio-sanctioned cartoon The Real Ghostbusters, or, finally, in 2009's Ghostbusters: The Video Game. Instead, he lives on in our memory, bequeathing upon us little more than a sackful of really funny lines, crookedly-worn glasses, and a mad scientist's hairstyle. May he rest in peace in the nearest convenient parallel dimension.

The role was initially intended for John Candy, which I can't really imagine because Moranis did such a great job with the role.

Vinz Clortho, Volguus Zildrohar and Lord of the Sebouillia, was one of two demigod minions of the Sumerian god Gozer. Vinz, along with the other demigod Zuul, served as keymaster and gatekeeper (respectively) of Gozer the Traveller during the attempted invasion of New York City in the mid 1980s.

Originally manifested on Earth, in this dimension, as a terror dog (created after possessing a statue on the roof of an apartment building), Vinz went on to possess a New York City accountant by the name of Louis Tully. While the purpose of possessing a human was to move about the environment relatively undetected, Vinz exhibited some extremely odd behavior while inhabiting Louis, which caught the attention of the police department. Eventually, after he had obtained control of Tully, he went in search of Zuul the keymaster, who had possessed a woman named Dana Barrett.

Once they met, the interdimensional gate was forced open, allowing Gozer to enter the Earth realm. Upon arrival, Gozer the Traveller faced the Ghostbusters, a group of professional paranormal investigators and eliminators based in New York City. The Ghostbusters went on to successfully thwart Gozer's attempts to destroy the city, but not before Gozer the Traveller became Gozer the Destructor, in a form inadvertently chosen by one of the Ghostbusters via telepathy.

Once Gozer was defeated, Vinz was forced back through the interdimensional gate (along with Zuul), leaving a disoriented Louis Tully atop a Manhattan apartment building.

Yes, have some.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.