Often overshadowed by the more common Celtic knotwork, Viking knotwork is not without a history and a beauty of its own. Often downplaying the spiral patterns found in Celtic knotwork, Viking art tends to favor zoomorphic knots, ranging from stylized lovecraftian-esq creations, to graceful dragons, horses, birds and dogs.

Art historians tend to classify Viking knotwork into six distinct periods, many of which are named after the original archeological dig the archetypeal pieces of the period were found.

note: The dates given are only approximations.

These designs were carved principally in wood, though the majority of the remaining relics are found carved in stone. Also, there are examples of this genre of art found in copper, bronze, gold, and silver castings and filigree work, principally in the form jewelry and broaches, though more utilitarian objects such as bowls have been found.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that the principal medium of Viking artists was wood, items such as ship masts, building decoration, and their ilk, the majority of the designs have succumbed to time, rotting away as the decades passed. Due to this innate block, there is very little information on the practices, techniques, and ultimate purpose of the designs.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.