This summer everyone who is in or about Stumptown is invited to create and/or watch shorts (movies that is).

It's Video Slam 2002

Here's how it works

Playing off the popular Poetry Slam construct, qualifying video slams will be held prior to the Grand Slam, where cash awards and public recognition await the winners and finalists. Video Slam 2002 is open to all filmmakers regardless of age or experience, so long as they produce their films within a set amount of time. Slam submissions must not exceed four minutes in total length and must have been completed after May 15, 2002. There is no entry fee for movies.

The creators of Video Slam want to see what the region's film and video makers can create in a condensed period of time. They just need to slam it together. In some cases, the rawer the better.

Each qualifying slam has a designated theme and most all will be held at the Orlo Exhibition Space in Industrial Northwest Portland. The public is encouraged to attend and cheer on their favorites submissions. Judging will be conducted by a combination of rotating film and video professionals and audience members.

Qualifying Slam Dates and Themes

All slams will start around 7:30 p.m. (Filmmakers are encouraged to arrive early)

Filmmakers can pre-register for slams or show up with submission in hand (meeting formatting requirements)

Admission is based on a suggested donation of $3-10 with the exception of the Bike-In Slam (no donations allowed)

The Video Slam 2002 winner will receive a cash award of $500.00. Second place will receive $200, and third place will receive $100. All finalists will enjoy public recognition and inclusion in a planned Video Slam 2002 compilation video. Losers might be able to crash at the Funhouse until their ego is restored. For further information and slam guidelines, interested parties are encouraged to visit www.orlo.org, send an e-mail request to bear@orlo.org, or send a SASE to Orlo, P.O. Box 10342, Portland, OR 97296.

This event is being presented by Orlo, a Portland nonprofit environmental arts organization (i.e. they use the arts to explore environmental issues). Current Video Slam 2002 sponsors include Orlo, KBOO Radio and S-Ray Video.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.