Veruca Salt is the name of a character in Roald Dahl's book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Veruca is one of the children who finds a golden ticket in the packaging of her chocolate bar and is thus permitted to enter the chocolate factory. Veruca is a very bratty and rich child, and she wanted to own an Oompa Loompa and a goose that laid golden chocolate eggs. She met her demise by falling down the 'bad egg' chute. In the movie, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Veruca Salt was played by Julie Dawn Cole.

There is also an alternative band that goes by this name. They formed in 1993 in Chicago. Their albums are American Thighs (gold), Blow It Out Your Ass It's Veruca Salt, and Eight Arms To Hold You(gold). It was originally comprised of band members Louise Post, Stacy Jones, Nina Gordon, and Jim Shapiro. They have since split up. Their most well-known song is Seether.

Veruca Salt is often criticized as a Breeders/Pixies rip-off band. Screw what others say I still like them. The original line up was Louise Post (guitar, vox), Nina Gordon (guitar, vox), Steve Lack (bass), Jim Shapiro (drums). They broke up some time around 1998. Post recently reformed the band with Stephen Fitzpatrick (guitar), Suzanne Sokol (bass), and Jimmy Madla (drums). The new Veruca Salt released the album Resolver in spring of 2000. I have yet to hear what the new band sounds like.

Albums:
Resolver -- Beyond (2000)
Eight Arms to Hold You -- Outpost (1997)
American Thighs -- Minty Fresh (1994)
EPs:
Blow It out Your Ass It's Veruca Salt -- Minty Fresh (1996)
Number One Blind -- Minty Fresh (1995)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.