I referred to the good sneff as venerable in my w/u on yard long green beans, as well as my addendum to sweet chilli sauce, and he came here to confirm what I was saying about him. He /msged me to say that he felt that Webster 1913, and by extension me, was (were?) calling him old. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Now he may indeed be old, I have no idea really, old being, after all, a relative term - that is, people older than you generally seem old, while you yourself generally feel young when you reach that age which once seemed old. Or such is my experience, anyway.

Whether he is objectively or subjectively old is neither here nor there, and though it's true Webster does emphasize the age aspect, Merriam-Webster puts a slightly different spin on it. What I meant to imply was that sneff was, as M-W puts it, "deserving to be venerated...calling forth respect". Now M-W does go on to say that this respect may be called forth by age, it's true, but they also mention that it could be by character or attainments, and it is, of course, to this latter characteristic that I was referring. Sneff, as many of us know, posts mouth-watering recipes and culinary lore that give evidence of his skill and grace in kitchen and pantry, and for this I venerate him. He may be 12 or 72, but he is still, and will always be, for me, the venerable sneff.

I see that jessicapierce also does not like to be called venerable because it makes her feel old, too.

No no, my friends! Don't feel aged. Feel venerated! Feel respected! Feel proud and pleased that your attainments have been acknowledged! It's a compliment. Please take it as such. 'Nuff said.

Ven"er*a*ble (?), a. [L. venerabilis: cf. F. v'en'erable.]

1.

Capable of being venerated; worthy of veneration or reverence; deserving of honor and respect; -- generally implying an advanced age; as, a venerable magistrate; a venerable parent.

He was a man of eternal self-sacrifice, and that is always venerable. De Quincey.

Venerable men! you have come down to us from a former generation. D. Webster.

2.

Rendered sacred by religious or other associations; that should be regarded with awe and treated with reverence; as, the venerable walls of a temple or a church.

⇒ This word is employed in the Church of England as a title for an archdeacon. In the Roman Catholic Church, venerable is applied to those who have attained to the lowest of the three recognized degrees of sanctity, but are not among the beatified, nor the canonized.

-- Ven"er*a*ble*ness, n. -- Ven"er*a*bly, adv.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.