This recipe is quite filling and actually inexpensive to make if you're on a budget.
What You Need:
- 2 pastry pie crusts (not graham!)
- 1 lb of lean ground meat (I use the cheap chubs of turkey or beef, or even a bag of Morningstar meatless crumbles)
- 1 lb can of whole kernel sweet corn
- 1 8oz can of sliced carrots or sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup of celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup red or sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- Sea Salt, to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
What You Do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 450°F.
- Place the first raw pastry shell in a deep pie tin.
- Put a third of the selected meat on the bottom.
- Layer half the corn, all the carrots, half the green pepper, half the onion, and half the celery on the meat.
- Season with sea salt and fresh black pepper to taste.
- Repeat 3-5 as the next layer except without carrots.
- Put the rest of the meat on a layer over the top and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with the second pastry crust and pinch the edges to seal the pie.
- Cut several two-inch slits to allow steam to escape while baking.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake for ten minutes to seal, then lower the temperatore to 350f degrees and bake for fifty minutes.
I sometimes switch up the veggies for a change so it doesn't get boring, assuming you have a very tight financial month you have to get through.