Vanyel Ashkevron is the main character from Mercedes Lackey's The Last Herald-Mage Trilogy.

Herald-Mage Vanyel Ashkevron is the last Herald-Mage (a user of two very different types of magic) of Valdemar, a land in the mythical world of Velgarth.

In the land of Valdemar, the Heralds are the dispensers of justice (among other things) for the Monarch (who must also be a Herald). A Herald is linked to a Companion, a guardian spirit that appears in the form of a white horse, and is committed to the support of the people of Valdemar.

All Heralds have "mind-magic" such as Mindspeach (telepathy), Fetching (telekinesis), Empathy or Healing. Herald-Mages use "true-magic" as well as "mind-magic".

At least he was the last Herald-Mage for his time, although subsequent books set in a later era re-introduced Herald-Mages to the land of Valdemar.

Besides the fact that the character of Vanyel has revolutionized fantasy literature - that for the first time, there was a "shaych" character with whom teen "shaych" boys could relate, making it easier for them to accept their own "shaych-ness" - that he also has help "non-shaych" people become more accepting of real world "shaychness" - that in these profound ways with such a simple character, Mercedes Lackey has found a way to help ease a bit of bigotry . . . He's just a really cool character!

Just in case you can't figure it out, in our world "shaych" people are known as "gay".

http://www.dragonlordsnet.com/vfcindex.htm http://www.geocities.com/Area51/lair/9963/VFC.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.