Up"land (?), n.

1.

High land; ground elevated above the meadows and intervals which lie on the banks of rivers, near the sea, or between hills; land which is generally dry; -- opposed to lowland, meadow, marsh, swamp, interval, and the like.

2.

The country, as distinguished from the neighborhood of towns.

[Obs.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Up"land, a.

1.

Of or pertaining to uplands; being on upland; high in situation; as, upland inhabitants; upland pasturage.

Sometimes, with secure delight The upland hamlets will invite. Milton.

2.

Pertaining to the country, as distinguished from the neighborhood of towns; rustic; rude; unpolished.

[Obs.] " The race of upland giants."

Chapman.

Upland moccasin. Zool. See Moccasin. -- Upland sandpiper, ∨ Upland plover Zool., a large American sandpiper (Bartramia longicauda) much valued as a game bird. Unlike most sandpipers, it frequents fields and uplands. Called also Bartramian sandpiper, Bartram's tattler, field plover, grass plover, highland plover, hillbird, humility, prairie plover, prairie pigeon, prairie snipe, papabote, quaily, and uplander. -- Upland sumach Bot., a North American shrub of the genus Rhus (Rhus glabra), used in tanning and dyeing.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.