This is a song by Ween, from the album God Ween Satan: The Oneness.

This song is sung twice; the first time through it is unaccompanied, by three voices--one a low "bop, shoo-wah-nee-wah-nee" barbershop type rhythmic chant that doesn't keep the correct pace, and the other two a weird, whiny gospel-sounding two-part harmony. The other repetition is just one Southern-accented guy singing it again to electric guitar and percussion.

Some inside information about this song: It is a hymn to Boognish, Ween's made up rock god. On Ween's albums, there is usually a Boognish head present; it's that scary fella with the pointy hair. This backwater-sounding psalm for him helps extol Boognish-esque virtues, if you are in the mood.

Typically weird Ween lyrics take a religious turn! Observe, in this sample:

in a dream
said he was comin'
boognish was risin'
up from the mist
he held the scepter
of wealth and power
he said "by god, i've come to take you home.

Of course, you also have to remember that there are references to Gener's mom "smelling it," and commenting that "it was smelly." What "it" is is debatable. Not exactly your typical Sunday school psalm, right? Welcome to the world of Ween.

This song is © 1990 by Ween, Twin/Tone records.

Next song on this album: Wayne's pet youngin

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.