A University situated in the London borough of Islington, one of many educational institutions in the capital city of England that form the University of London. In August 2002, the university merged with London Guildhall University to form London Metropolitan University, and is now referred to as the London North Campus. The merger created the largest university (based on student population) in the United Kingdom.

History

What came to be the University of North London began life in 1896 as the Northern Polytechnic Institute, offering academic courses ranging from English, mathematics and chemistry to more practical and vocational classes such as machine construction, plumbing, dressmaking and millinery. By the turn of the century student numbers had doubled and by 1911 five-year evening degrees were available, recognised by the University of London. In the early 1970s the Northern Polytechnic merged with the North Western Polytechnic and became the Polytechnic of North London. In 1992, the Polytechnic won the right to the title of University and the ability to award its own degrees.

Student Population

The student population is slightly more diverse than you would expect from an english university, owing to the fact that the University is keen to accept those from poor or non-traditional backgrounds. Less than half of the 20,000 students are of Caucasian origin, 1 in 10 are International students, and 18 year old just-passed-A level-students are hard to find as most are mature students.

Faculties and courses worth studying there

The four faculties of the University are:

  • Business
  • Environmental and Social Sciences
  • Humanities and Education
  • Science, Computing and Engineering
Although the administration don't object strongly about combining courses from different faculties to make your own degree up, albeit under the bland title of Combined Studies.

Courses worth studying at the University of North London are Business, Management, English, electronic engineering, drama, dance, cinematics, and art and design, all of which have received Excellent or Highly Satisfactory teaching quality assessments in recent years.

Student Life

Student Life revolves around a venue known as The Rocket Complex, which features a nightclub, bar, cafe, shop, pool room and video arcade, and extensive licensed courtyards. The Rocket regularly holds comedy nights, live bands and headline DJs such as Trevor Nelson. If that's not your sort of thing there are sports clubs and gyms you can get involved in, and the usual array of religious, political and social societies, the most active being the LGBTSoc and the North campus RockSoc, which is a member of the much larger London RockSoc. The centre of London is about 20 minutes walk away, so you can visit Oxford Street for retail therapy between lectures, and of course there are all the resteraunts, pubs, bars, clubs that London has to offer, most of which offer discounts to NUS card holders.

All in all, it is a very friendly and relaxed University, where you'd sooner see students standing at the bar than standing on ceremony.


Sources:
University of North London Prospectus 2003-04
London Metropolitan University Website
(http://www.londonmet.ac.uk)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.