The Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry is a US Senate committee, founded in 1825, which establishes, guides, and examines agricultural policy. Its jurisdiction is outlined in Rule XXV of the Standing Rules of the Senate:
"(a)(1) Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry, to which committee shall be referred all proposed legislation, messages, petitions, memorials, and other matters relating primarily to the following subjects:
(2) Such committee shall also study and review, on a comprehensive basis, matters relating to food, nutrition, and hunger, both in the United States and in foreign countries, and rural affairs, and report thereon from time to time."1
- Agricultural economics and research.
- Agricultural extension services and experiment stations.
- Agricultural production, marketing, and stabilization of prices.
- Agriculture and agricultural commodities.
- Animal industry and diseases.
- Crop insurance and soil conservation.
- Farm credit and farm security.
- Food from fresh waters.
- Food stamp programs.
- Forestry, and forest reserves and wilderness areas other than those created from the public domain.
- Home economics.
- Human nutrition.
- Inspection of livestock, meat, and agricultural products.
- Pests and pesticides.
- Plant industry, soils, and agricultural engineering.
- Rural development, rural electrification, and watersheds.
- School nutrition programs.
This committee currently has four subcommittees:
The 107th Congress' Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry has 20 members, 10 Republicans and 10 Democrats. It is chaired by Republican Senator Dick Lugar.
MEMBER APPOINTED POSITION MEMBER APPOINTED POSITION
Lugar (R - IN) 02-22-77 Chairman Harkin (D - IA) 02-21-85 Ranking
Helms (R - NC) 01-17-73 Leahy (D - VT) 01-17-75
Cochran (R - MS) 01-23-79 Conrad (D - ND) 01-06-87
McConnell (R - KY) 02-21-85 Daschle (D - SD) 01-06-87
Roberts (R - KS) 01-09-97 Baucus (D - MT) 02-02-89
Fitzgerald (R - IL) 01-07-99 Lincoln (D - AR) 01-07-99
Thomas (R - WY) 01-25-01 Miller (D - GA) 09-12-00
Allard (R - CO) 01-25-01 Stabenow (D - MI) 01-23-01
Hutchinson (R - AR) 01-25-01 Nelson (D - NE) 01-23-01
Crapo (R - ID) 01-25-01 Dayton (D - MN) 01-23-01
Committee on Rules and Administration, United States Senate, Authority and Rules of Senate Committees, 1997-98
, Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., 1997, p.11.