Ultra Magnus is an Autobot who first appeared in Transformers The Movie. His chief function is commander of Autobot City.

After Optimus Prime dies, Ultra Magnus is entrusted with the Autobot Matrix of Leadership. He is soon killed by the Decepticons, who take the Matrix from him. The Junkions later rebuild Ultra Magnus, and he continues to fight for the Autobot cause.

Ultra Magnus is all soldier. Although totally capable of leadership, he is most comfortable when carrying out Optimus Prime's orders. He transformes into a truck, not unlike Optimus, but Ultra Magnus hauls a car trailer instead of a cargo trailer.

Transforms from car carrier to robot and back!

AUTOBOT: ULTRA MAGNUS

FUNCTION: CITY COMMANDER
"Consistancy is victory."

ULTRA MAGNUS is all soldier. Most comfortable when carrying out Optimus Prime's orders. Possesses magnificent fighting skills, courage, and a gift for battlefield improvisation. Uncomfortable in the mantle of leadership, but presents strong profile as a commander. Carries missile launchers capable of hitting a target 30 miles away. Resolute, fair, and courageous beyond reproach. Ever ready to sacrifice himself for the good of men and mission.

  • Strength: 9
  • Intelligence: 9
  • Speed: 6
  • Endurance: 8
  • Rank: 8
  • Courage: 9
  • Firepower: 6
  • Skill: 6
Transformers Tech Specs


Ultra Magnus was a very impressive toy -- they took the cab from Optimus Prime and recolored it completely white, but added a completely new trailer which could be used to carry up to four large Autobot cars on two levels. The cab and trailer combined to form the Ultra Magnus robot (you never even saw the cab, all it did was hold Magnus' head up) which was almost as big a toy as the gestalt robots.

The cartoon character, unfortunately, was very lacking in personality. From "Transformers: The Movie" onwards, he maintained a profile of weenie commanding, going through the usual motivational quips but totally failing to provide any sense of inspiration. His self-confidence was basically non-existant. Combining him and the commanding but impulsive Rodimus Prime together made one good leader for the Autobot side, but if it weren't for the fact that the half-mad Galvatron was the best their opposition had to offer, they probably wouldn't have stood a chance.





Transformers: Robots in Disguise Episode Guide

Episode 24: Ultra Magnus
Original air date: October 6, 2001
Written by: Tom Wyner

When the Decepticons attempt to steal fuel from an oil refinery, they are interrupted by the Autobot car brothers X-Brawn, Prowl, and Side Burn. They are hesitant to fire on the Decepticons inside the refinery, but before they can take any other action a large armored car carrier with an Autobot insignia enters, transforms and fires on the Decepticons, driving them away. after berating the car brothers for not trying harder, he drives off again.

After reporting to Megatron, the Decepticons are sent away and Sky-Byte is given a new task to dig in a remote location for some o-parts. the Autobots pick up his transmission to the other Predacons and the car brothers are sent out. The truck from the refinery stops them en route, telling them it's a Decepticon trap and then paralyzing and kidnapping them to take their place. In fact, it is a trap, and when the truck surprises the Decepticons he identifies himself as Ultra Magnus and is able to hold his own easily. When the car brothers report in to Optimus Prime, Optimus orders their mission aborted and goes to help Magnus himself. We learn that Ultra Magnus was Cybertron's mightiest warrior, but was long ago passed over by the Autobot Matrix of Leadership for leadership in favor of Optimus. Together the Decepticons are held off until they retreat, but Magnus refuses to join Optimus' team. He demands that Optimus hand the Autobot Matrix over to him or else he'll take it by force.

Previous episode  ||  Next episode


In Transformers: The Movie, the original Ultra Magnus was presented as a reluctant leader, a commander who was better at following orders than giving his own. Seeing him here as the most powerful warrior Cybertron has ever seen was both a shock and a welcome relief to longtime Transfans. Of course, his rivalry with Optimus Prime is something new, and becomes a permanent fixture of the series right up until the last episode.

Meanwhile, Sky-Byte is given a short but significant scene when Koji and several other children recognize him as someone who fought the Decepticons and clamor for his autograph, a continuation of his misinterpreted heroics during the (as yet unbroadcast) episode "Sky-Byte Saves The Day". This odd relationship with Koji plays a major role in the later episodes "Koji Gets His Wish" and a lesser one in "Surprise Attack!", but beyond that it never develops into anything too significant.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.