"Ubi" is Latin for "where". It's also a board game produced by Horn Abbot Ltd. Imagine the guys who came up with Trivial Pursuit went to Vegas, did a shitload of drugs, and wound up in a Roman-themed casino. The end result is Ubi. Trust me, this is one game that will induce a mindfuck.

I will assume that the reader is versed in the rules of Trivial Pursuit, since the game is played somewhat like its predecessor. Each player has his own Rubi game piece. This is a square pyramid base. He rolls the Rubi Cubis (dice) to determine what world zone his question will be from. The four zones are AMR (which covers North & South America), EUR (which covers Europe & the British Isles), WAT (which covers Australia & Oceania, plus bodies of water the world over), and UNI (which can cover anything anywhere anytime). If the player rolls a triangle (instead of a hexagon) on the "Precision" Rubi Cubi die, this is akin to the spaces where a player in Trivial Pursuit can garner a pie piece. This results in Triangular Precision, which means that the player must give extra specificity in his answer; doing so, he garners a Facet for his Rubi, which he then places in his Rubi base. Once all four facets are won (forming an unfinished pyramid like on the back of a dollar bill), then the player needs one more question to win the game, after which he wins the coveted Rubi Ubi piece, which sits in the top of the Rubi and completes its pyramidal shape, which can then be displayed as a trophy.

Now, if you thought that was weird, it gets better. The questions (which are more riddles than questions) are based on geography and history. The Rubi gamepieces do not actually move about the board, which is a giant unlabelled world map. This map is overscribed with numbered hexagons; to answer a question, one must find the place it refers to and give the hexagon number. If the player is going for Triangular Precision to win a Rubi Facet, he must overlay the Rubicon Reticle map reader device on the proper hexagon, which further divides it into six equal triangles, and give the corresponding sublocation.

The questions are even better. They're "written in a bizzarre Ubi language". This means that they all start with the word "Ubi", then give a riddle-like clue. For example, one question reads, "Ubi Vientiene vital?" The correct answer is "103: ("103-C" to gain a Rubi Facet), because on the map, Laos is found in Hexagon 103. Now, where it gets really fun is that not all questions pertain to real places or historical events. For example on the same card as the previous question, in another category, is the following: "Ubi Fountain of Youth foam?" The correct answer is not Florida, but "That's a red herring." (because, much to Ponce de Leon's chagrin, there never was an actual Fountain of Youth). Furthermore, some questions simply read "Beware the Ides of March!", "answered" by a message from Julius Cæsar that removes all of the player's Rubi Facets and makes him start from scratch.

Ubi was developed by Horn Abbot in 1986. I found my copy at a yard sale; no re-editions were ever produced, but you may be able to find one at a yard sale or on eBay. You can see a copy at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewitem.php3?gameid=1482

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.