UBD = U = UCE

UBE // n.

[abbrev., Unsolicited Bulk Email] A widespread, more formal term for email spam. Compare UCE. The UBE term recognizes that spam is uttered by nonprofit and advocacy groups whose motives are not commercial.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Me: I want to eat some eww-beh..
You: Some what?
Me: Some Eww-Beh!!
You: What?

To answer your question I am talking about Purple Yam referred to in the Philippines as Ube (pronounced eww-beh). It grows in the ground and is toxic to eat if not prepared properly, so it's best to buy it by the packet. It can be found mainly in Filipino Convenience Stores.

Ube is also a dessert. If you have a sweet tooth, fond of eating the colour purple and into trying new things, add this recipe to your list, it's a personal favourite of mine.

Cooking Ube Halaya

Pull out of your cupboard

  • Grated Purple Yam/Ube
  • 1 can Condensed Milk
  • 2 cups Milk or Coconut Milk
  • 250g White Sugar
  • Wooden Spoon
  • 1/8 of a stick of Butter

Lets make this goop

  1. Place the saucepan on the stove.
  2. Rip open the Grated Purple Yam and whack it in the Saucepan.
  3. Pour in the milk! Which one? Both of them!
  4. Stir the mess with the Wooden Spoon.
  5. Plomp the butter on top.
  6. Turn on the stove to medium (that always helps).
  7. Stir every so often making sure that the contents doesn't stick to the bottom of the Saucepan.
  8. Add in the sugar according to your sweet tooth.
  9. Repeat step 7 until the mixture turns into goop; thick enough so some of it sticks onto the wooden spoon.
  10. Place it into a bowl to cool down.
  11. Refrigerate if necessary.
You: I have made Ube!
Me: Yum Eww-Beh!
You: Now what am I meant to do with it?

Ube can be eaten warm or cold but there is no harm in experimenting by adding in Vanilla Ice-Cream, cooking with Cake mixes and eating it with Halo-Halo.

You: Whats Halo-Halo?
Me: Eat your Ube first.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.