This is the excuse that my ISP's tech support department gives me every time I call.

My ISP has a habit of going down once or twice a week, for anywhere between 3 and 7 hours. I'll call up, and I'll hear the standard "We're experiencing technicial problems in the following sites" recording, and Smyrna will always be listed. Obviously they know there's a problem, so I (with my morbid curiosity) want to know why.

"Thank you for calling Tech Support, this is _______, how can I help you?"

"Hey, how's it going? Listen, I live in Smyrna, and I know there's a problem....I'm just wondering if you have any kind of time frame as to when it'll be back up." (These techies go through hell, so I always go out of my way to be polite.)

"Unfortunately, we don't really know."

"Okay, that's cool. What's the problem?"

"UUNet's routers are acting up again."

Now somehow, I don't think UUNet would *be* UUNet if their routers had problems twice a week for 3+ hours at a time. This is what the techs are told the problem is, and they relay this to the caller. The only reason I stay with this ISP is because running servers isn't against their AUP. It's a cable modem. It's amazing though, that every time I call, UUNet is the problem. It's never my ISP's fault...their servers never have issues...it's always UUNet's routers. I can just see a call to the billing department...

"Billing, this is Mike."

"Hi, Mike....listen, I didn't get a bill for this month, and I don't want to have any late charges."

"Hmmmm......I see why you didn't get your bill. It looks like UUNet's routers are acting up."

Guys, the story only works for so long.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.