There have been a total of three ships in the United States Navy to bear the name Michigan.

The first USS Michigan served on the great lakes from 1843 until 1922, and was renamed the Wolverine in 1905, prior to the commissioning of the second Michigan. The Michigan was the first iron hulled ship in the US Navy, and was 167 feet long displacing 450 tons. Designed as a three masted topsail schooner, the Michigan also had auxillary steam propulsion in the form of side paddlewheels.

The second Michigan (BB 27) was the second of the South Carolina class dreadnoughts with a displacement of 16,000 tons, length of 452 feet, and was armed by 8 12" guns, 22 3" guns, 4 1lb guns, 2 .30-cal. machine guns and 2 21" torpedo tubes. Commissioned in January 1910, she served along the East Coast from 1910 through 1922. Prior to 1914 the Michigan operated in the North Atlantic, the Gulf of Mexico, and along the Atlantic Coast. During World War I, the warship escorted convoys, trained recruits, and engaged in fleet maneuvers. The Michigan was placed in limited commission on 6 August 1919, decommissioned at Philadelphia Navy Yard 11 February 1922 and was stricken from the Navy list 10 November 1923 as part of the treaty limiting naval armaments following World War I.

The third, and current, Michigan (SSBN 727) is the second of the Ohio class ballistic missile submarines, with a displacement of 16,600 tons on the surface, and 18,750 tons submerged. She is 560 feet long and is (currently) armed with 24 Trident I ballistic missiles and 4 21" Mk 48 torpedo tubes. The Michigan was commisioned on September 11 1982, and has completed 67 Strategic Deterrent patrols. In October 2003 Michigan is scheduled to join USS Ohio (SSBN 726), USS Florida (SSBN 728) and USS Georgia (SSBN 729), in converting to an SSGN, where their nuclear missiles will be replaced with up to 154 Tomahawk Cruise Missiles. Also, as part of the conversion, the reactor will be refuelled, major ship systems will be overhauled, and berthing for up to 102 Special Forces personnel will be added. This major overhaul will take approximately 6 years to complete. The SSGN conversion program came from nuclear disarmament treaties and the government's unwillingness to decommission a submarine with half of its design lifetime left.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.