USA for Africa (United Support of Artists for Africa) was inspired by Bob Geldof's Band Aid efforts and the success of the recording 'Do They know It's Christmas?' in 1984.

On January 28, 1985, a number of musicians gathered to sing 'We Are The World', penned by Lionel Ritchie and Michael Jackson. A majority of the profits were meant for aid to Ethiopia famine victims, and at least 10 percent meant for the homeless in America (due to a proviso by Stevie Wonder).

The song proved to be a smash hit, and won the year's Grammy. A 1986 audit reported that USA For Africa raised $43,173,990 in 1985, with $8,394,030 spent in that time on African and domestic hunger relief.


Vocalists on 'We Are The World' included:

Dan Aykroyd, Harry Belafonte, Lindsey Buckingham, Kim Carnes, Ray Charles, Bob Dylan, Sheila E., Bob Geldof, Hall and Oates, James Ingram, Jackie Jackson, LaToya Jackson, Marlon Jackson, Michael Jackson, Randy Jackson, Tito Jackson, Al Jarreau, Waylon Jennings, Billy Joel, Cyndi Lauper, Huey Lewis and the News, Kenny Logins, Bette Midler, Willie Nelson, Jeffery Osborne, Steve Perry, The Pointer Sisters, Lionel Richie, Smokey Robinson, Kenny Rogers, Diana Ross, Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen, Tina Turner, Dionne Warwick, Stevie Wonder, Michael Boddicker, Paulinho da Costa, Louis Johnson, Quincy Jones, Michael Omartian, Greg Phillinganes, and John Robinson.

Various Canadians attempted their own effort, firmware informs me, called 'Tears are not enough'

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.