VI. Time-Outs

  1. Time-Out
    1. Each team is permitted two (2) time-outs per half in games to 17 or less, and three (3) time-outs per half in games to 18 or more. Each team is permitted exactly one (1) time-out in overtime. Overtime occurs when the score is tied at one point less than the number of points for which the game was originally scheduled. (Example: In a game to 19 points, overtime occurs when the score reaches 18-18.)
    2. Each time-out lasts up to two (2) minutes.
    3. The player calling the time-out must form a "T" with his/her hands and call "time-out" loudly.
    4. A time-out may be called by either team after a goal and before the ensuing accepted throw-off.
    5. During play, only a player who has established a pivot foot and who has possession of the disc can call a time-out. 1995
    6. When play resumes after a time-out: 1995
      1. The player who had possession puts the disc into play
      2. The disc is put into play at the location where the disc was when the time-out was called.
      3. Play is resumed through the use of a check and all other players may set up in any position on the field.
    7. It is a turnover if a player calls a time-out when his/her team no time-outs remaining. There is a check on the disc.

  2. Injury Time-Out
    1. Injury time-out can be called by any member of the injured player's team. The time-out call is in effect at the time of the injury. In other words, the call is retroactive to the time that the injury occurred. If the disc is in the air during the time-out call, the play is completed.
    2. Injury time-out results in a team time-out if the injured player does not leave the game. A "spirit of the game" exception is made when the injury is caused by an opposing player.
    3. When play resumes after an injury time-out:
      1. The player who had possession of the disc when the injury occurred puts the disc into play. If that player leaves the field due to injury, the replacing player puts the disc into play.
      2. If the disc was in the air at the time of the injury, play continues until the disc is caught or it contacts the ground. If the disc is caught, the player who caught the disc puts the disc into play after the injury time-out.
      3. The disc is put into play at the location where the disc was when play was stopped.
      4. The play is resumed through the use of a check and all players must assume their respective positions on the field when the time-out was called. Players may not set up when restarting play after an injury time-out, unless it is also a team time-out.

Back to Table of Contents

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.