Ultra High Frequency, channels 13+ on the tuner. BroadcastTelevision uses VHF for channels 1-13, and UHF for the rest. Traditionally, small, independent channels are in the UHF range.

Regarding said movie: This is probably one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. Here's a condensed plot summary with minimal spoilers:
George, played by "Weird Al" Yankovic, is an imaginative young man who has trouble holding a job. Out of work, his affluent uncle, a compulsive gambler, places him in charge of a small UHF station on the edge of town. Things soon go bad, and it looks like the station will be belly up within a week. Depressed, George places the station's janitor, Stanley Spadowski, in charge of his own TV show. Their ratings immediately explode, and they become the #1 station in town. However, they face the major network affiliate, who tries to employ Microsoft-like methods to shut down the competition.

Overall, an excellent movie well worth watching if you can locate a copy. If you appreciate Monty Python you'll most likely love this movie as well. Of course, if you don't like Monty Python, then you're a deceased pigeon. In short, if you're looking for a new cult classic, this will fill the bill.
This movie also starred Victoria Jackson, Fran Drescher, Billy Barty, Anthony Geary, and Gedde Watanabe.

You won't understand me until you've seen it. Conan The Librarian? Wheel Of Fish? The Money For Nothing parody? Stanley Spadowski? All very formative.

"Now you get to drink from the firehose!"

UHF stands for Ultra High Frequency. It consists of radio frequencies ranging from 300Megahertz to 3Gigahertz.

UHF was released on DVD in June 2002 by MGM which picked up the rights to the film after the original distributor, Orion, went bankrupt several years ago. Having become a cult classic, UHF's DVD release is loaded with deleted scenes (hosted by Weird Al himself), both trailers, production photos, a commentary by Weird Al and his manager/director, and much more. As for the film itself, it's available in both widescreen and full-frame versions. It's MSRP is $17.99, but chances are you can find it marked down to $9.99 as I did.

The commentary is most informative. Weird Al reveals the locations of all the movie's scenes, such as U62, and their addresses so that one could tour the UHF world. Other interesting tidbits include that the fish on the Wheel of Fish were, in fact, real fish as well as the title of the film for the foreign market was changed to The Vidiot From UHF. Also watch for cameos on the commentary track by Emo Phillips, Michael Richards, and Victoria Jackson.

UHF on DVD: Be There!

UHF ranks up there as one of the greatest silly movies ever made. If you’ve never heard of it, and don’t plan on reading the rest of this writeup, this is all you’ll need to know: it’s Weird Al’s movie. Okay?

Released in 1989, the movie was overshadowed by a host of other, ”bigger” releases. Many people have not heard of the movie simply because they were too busy seeing Batman, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Back to the Future II, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Ghostbusters 2, and others. Nevertheless, the movie is very much worth watching, especially to somebody who’s thoroughly in the mood for something ridiculous.

In a nutshell, the movie tells the story of George Newman (“Weird Al” Yankovic), who is given a nearly bankrupt UHF television station by his rich uncle Harvey (Stanley Brock). With the help of his best friend Bob (David Bowe) and the station’s janitor (Michael Richards (Seinfeld’s Kramer)), he unites a town with the shows he invents - finally proving to the world that creativity has some purpose.

The shows that George puts on the air range from the ridiculous, such as Raul’s Wild Kingdom, where poodles learn to fly, to the even more ridiculous, like Conan the Librarian, to the mind-bogglingly ridiculous, as seen in Wheel of Fish. Cutting back and forth between the movie’s plot and advertisements for Channel U62’s upcoming shows and features, we’re treated to just how much strangeness Weird Al has bottled up in him. Be on the lookout for parodies of:

The movie is basically a long series of good jokes with a bit of plot thrown in to tie them together. However, you won’t mind as you watch; you’ll be too busy waiting expectantly for the next bizarro commerical or sight gag. Although I cannot (unfortunately) give it away in this writeup, the movie features one of the most rewardingly bad puns that I’ve ever seen in a movie. (For those of you who've seen it, I'm referring to the supply closet gag.)

Really, the only downside of the entire movie is that partway through, there’s an obligatory music video, complete with 3D computer-rendered images with a polygon count of about 3 and a framerate to match. The film was Weird Al’s first stab at writing anything movie-like other than a music video, and thus this utterly out-of-place scene shows up. When you get to it, hit fast-forward; you shouldn’t allow anything to detract from your enjoyment of the movie.

In the end, what the movie boils down to is this: eventually, the smart, funny people will get their way, and aren’t we better for having listened to them? You’ll be glad you did, as the movie does not at all disappoint.


Cast List: (courtesy of the Internet Movie Database


Source: http://www.imdb.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.