In the wake of the terrible events of September 11, 2001 this chain letter appeared, making the rounds via e-mail:

Tomorrow is U.S. Pride Day. Everyone wear U.S. colors. Try to be wearing as much red white and blue as you can. Send this message to as many other people as you know. Let's get the whole country into it. At least send it to 10 other people. They are asking people to drive with their headlights ON in a show of solidarity and in remembrance of those who lost their lives ..... please pass the word along. thanks to all....

Here is another form the message takes:

Friday Night at 7:00 P.M. EST step out your door, stop your car, or step out of your establishment and light a candle. We will show the world that Americans are strong and united together against terrorism.


When I originally wrote this node, I indicated that I thought this was a dumb way to organize something like this. I was wrong. When Friday came lots of folks wore their colors, and at 7 P.M. all across the country, people gathered with their neighbors for candlelit prayer vigils. The confusion and disorganization I predicted never came about.

Shows me.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.