When applied to objects: To turn or bend something. If it is machined to do so, like a bottle top or a corkscrew, work might get done. If it's not... one might encounter contortion or breakage.

When applied to ideas: This is where the fun starts! Idea A originated by person 1 can be twisted by person 2. Is it still idea A or is it now idea B? If it was engineered to be so treated, it might be a better version of idea A. If it is brittle (or if person 1 is brittle) it might be best for all concerned to call it idea B, have person 2 file a patent and send person 1 a nice mug of flowers at the IPO.

Other fun stuff to do with twist:

  • and shout!
  • sexualize an idea that had nothing to do with sex. See warp.
  • twist your body on a sheet of plastic with multi-colored dots.
  • lime in vodka with splash of tonic...

The second song on Phish's 2000 album Farmhouse bears a resemblence to songs like Limb by Limb and Ghost from their previous album, The Story of the Ghost. The up-tempo feel, the simple four-chord vamp in a staggering rhythm, and the silly "Woo!" shouts during the chorus make this an ample starting point for a second-set jam live, but on Farmhouse, as a studio track, it falls a little flat. Perhaps it's the short and almost vacant lyrics--if there were more silliness or more meaning in these words, or even a more creative, intense jam, I'd recognize it as Phish. Sadly, it's almost a throwaway track on the album; I recommend picking up a live cut of it and crossing your fingers.


Lyrics:

{whispered and mumbled}
doom, doom, doom, tomb...
boom, boom, boom, hum...
I spoke your name for many days
Pronouncing it in several ways

--Ah!

I spoke your name for many days
Pronouncing it in several ways
And moving letters all around
And substituting every sound

And when you heard the end result,
I told you it was not my fault:
If you were here more of the day,
It wouldn't twist around that way.
Woo!

{jam, with various overlaps of:}

Wouldn't twist around
(wouldn't twist around)
that way: Woo!
(wouldn't twist around)


{over party noises, laughing, and fading jam, Trey sings alone:}
wouldn't twist around,
wouldn't twist around,
wouldn't twist around,
wouldn't twist around,
wouldn't twist around,
wouldn't twist around,
wouldn't twist around,
wouldn't twist around...

Twist is a card game similar to many of the games in the Eights group, notably Crazy Eights. As with the rest of the games in the Eights group, the object is to get rid of all your cards.
  • A standard 52 card deck is used. Make sure all jokers have been removed before starting play.

  • The game consists of a series of hands dealt to each player. The first hand is played with 5 cards given to each player, although this number is flexible and can be increased at will to give a longer game. Each successive hand is played with one less card down to a hand of just one card each.

    1. Play begins with whichever player has an ace in his hand. If no player has an ace, cards are drawn from the reserve pile in turn and added to the player's hands until an ace is turned up.

    2. Play proceeds clockwise. In his turn, a player must draw a card from the reserve pile and add it to his own hand.

    3. Cards of the same suit are played on top of the initial ace. For example, any spade can be played on top of an A♠. After this, any card of the same suit or rank as the card on top of the discard pile may be played.

    4. If a player is unable to play a card to the discard pile, he must draw by turns from the reserve pile until he is able to play.

    5. At any point in the game, a player may set down an ace of any suit (regardless of the suit or rank of the card currently atop the discard pile) and declare which suit he wishes to be played on top of it. If an A♦ is played, and the player announces 'Clubs!', play will continue as if the card were the ace of clubs.

    6. The winning player of each round is the one who first gets rid of all his cards. As there are typically five rounds, the winner overall is he who wins best of five.



Thanks to m_turner for clarification.

TWIST
A mixture of half tea and half coffee; likewise brandy, beer, and eggs. A good twist; a good appetite. To twist it down apace; to eat heartily.

The 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue.

Twist (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Twisted; p. pr. & vb. n. Twisting.] [OE. twisten, AS. twist a rope, as made of two (twisted) strands, fr. twi- two; akin to D. twist a quarrel, dissension, G. zwist, Dan. & Sw. tvist, Icel. twistr the deuce in cards, tvistr distressed. See Twice, Two.]

1.

To contort; to writhe; to complicate; to crook spirally; to convolve.

Twist it into a serpentine form.
Pope.

2.

Hence, to turn from the true form or meaning; to pervert; as, to twist a passage cited from an author.

3.

To distort, as a solid body, by turning one part relatively to another about an axis passing through both; to subject to torsion; as, to twist a shaft.

4.

To wreathe; to wind; to encircle; to unite by intertexture of parts. "Longing to twist bays with that ivy." Waller.

There are pillars of smoke twisted about wreaths of flame.
T. Burnet.

5.

To wind into; to insinuate; -- used reflexively; as, avarice twists itself into all human concerns.

6.

To unite by winding one thread, strand, or other flexible substance, round another; to form by convolution, or winding separate things round each other; as, to twist yarn or thread. Shak.

7.

Hence, to form as if by winding one part around another; to wreathe; to make up.

Was it not to this end
That thou began'st to twist so fine a story?
Shak.

8.

To form into a thread from many fine filaments; as, to twist wool or cotton.

 

© Webster 1913


Twist, v. i.

1.

To be contorted; to writhe; to be distorted by torsion; to be united by winding round each other; to be or become twisted; as, some strands will twist more easily than others.

2.

To follow a helical or spiral course; to be in the form of a helix.

 

© Webster 1913


Twist, n.

1.

The act of twisting; a contortion; a flexure; a convolution; a bending.

Not the least turn or twist in the fibers of any one animal which does not render them more proper for that particular animal's way of life than any other cast or texture.
Addison.

2.

The form given in twisting.

[He] shrunk at first sight of it; he found fault with the length, the thickness, and the twist.
Arbuthnot.

3.

That which is formed by twisting, convoluting, or uniting parts. Specifically: --

(a)

A cord, thread, or anything flexible, formed by winding strands or separate things round each other.

(b)

A kind of closely twisted, strong sewing silk, used by tailors, saddlers, and the like.

(c)

A kind of cotton yarn, of several varieties.

(d)

A roll of twisted dough, baked.

(e)

A little twisted roll of tobacco.

(f) (Weaving)

One of the threads of a warp, -- usually more tightly twisted than the filling.

(g) (Firearms)

A material for gun barrels, consisting of iron and steel twisted and welded together; as, Damascus twist.

(h) (Firearms & Ord.)

The spiral course of the rifling of a gun barrel or a cannon.

(i)

A beverage made of brandy and gin. [Slang]

4. [OE.; -- so called as being a two-forked branch. See Twist, v. t.]

A twig. [Obs.] Chaucer. Fairfax.

Gain twist, or Gaining twist (Firearms), twist of which the pitch is less, and the inclination greater, at the muzzle than at the breech. --
Twist drill, a drill the body of which is twisted like that of an auger. See Illust. of Drill. --
Uniform twist (Firearms), a twist of which the spiral course has an equal pitch throughout.

 

© Webster 1913


Twist (?), n.

1.

Act of imparting a turning or twisting motion, as to a pitched ball; also, the motion thus imparted; as, the twist of a billiard ball.

2.

A strong individual tendency, or bent; a marked inclination; a bias; -- often implying a peculiar or unusual tendency; as, a twist toward fanaticism.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.